Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
New beek here. First hive installed in April is two deeps full and a short super added in between last month. I removed the top deep today to see if they had put anything in the short super. Nothing except a condsiderable amount of honey dripping out of the top deep onto the short and great clumps of bees hanging out in front and on the hive.
Anyone know what is going on?
Thanks,
Clark in Bartlett, TN

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I neglected to say that there was very little burr comb and the entire top of every frame below was very wet with honey.
Hive beetles huh? What to look for? Don't they tunnel through the combs?
Clark

·
Registered
629 Posts
[First hive installed in April is two deeps full and a short super added in between last month]

The Super should be ABOVE the 2 deep Hive Bodies, Not in between the 2 hive bodys.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went back in this afternoon to see what was going on.
The entire bottom deepwas infested with hive beetle larvae.
Didn't see the queen. I removed all of the affected frames and ended up with one deep which doesn't appear to be infested. Added a new short super for them, on top, and hope they will settle down. Going back up this evening to see if they will reenter the hive. Just trying to save the bees now.
Any tips are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Clark

·
Registered
833 Posts
The bees on the outside front of hive usally is just them cooling off from the heat, the SHB and leaking honey may cause it to.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have not had beetle problems and I have been going to Florida for 9 years. I have beetles, but have had no problems until this year. I have lost 7 nucs in last two weeks. I believe the cause is the extremely hot humid wet weather . A more tropical type summer and beetles are a tropical pest. THis is the hottest summer I ever remember.....geez its cooler in FLorida than here!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts