Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honey Laundering Bust Highlights Sticky Problem
http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/honey-laundering-bust-highlights-sticky-problem/19429121
The Food and Drug Administration bans all animal medication from food products sold in this country and has issued alerts three times about the antibiotics found in Chinese honey. The last came in 2007, when Florida food detectives found two other antibiotics -- iprofloxacin and Enrofloxacin -- in honey and blended honey syrup from China.

Most people can eat the tainted honey without serious complications. However, a small percentage of the public with sensitivities to the drugs can become horribly ill. The illegal additive has continued to be found in honey arriving at U.S. ports this year.
Ernie

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Until the packers stop buying the stuff it will continue. From the article.

"Other suppliers, including some of the largest in the country, likely know the honey they buy comes from Chinese bees, even though the paperwork says it originated in Australia, New Zealand, India or another country presumed safe. As one federal investigator explained: When these companies are paying $1 less a pound than prevailing prices, it's difficult not to be aware that the honey's bogus."

Sue Bee is one of the worst. I wouldn't buy the crap they sell on the selves to feed my bees let alone for human consumption.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As a member of Sue Bee I know how they test honey and how hard they work to keep that ''crap honey'' off the shelf,better have something to back up those words or get yourself trouble,think its call slander.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Maybe you should talk to them about their practices if you are a member.

"In particular, the article highlights Sue Bee Honey, which are finding (on average) a container of bad honey a month, and rather than report this shipment to the FDA or destroy the content, they are returning the product to their suppliers IN CHINA to handle it:

Bill Allibone, Sue Bee’s president, said the company has no intention of telling government regulators about the bad honey it finds.

It’s not really Sue Bee’s honey, he said, “because technically, it’s still (the importer’s) property until we pay for it."

I consider any honey out of China crap and they obviously are using Chinese suppliers for much of their honey if they are finding that much of it that FAILS their testing. To bad they are tainting the quality honey produced by yourself by mixing it with imported cheap CRAP honey.

·
Banned
141 Posts
It seems that Sue Bee is testing the honey they buy and rejecting anything that fails. Sounds like responsible behaviour to me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It is time to mount an assault on the Honey Board. We need to kick the packers off the board and take control. We also need to take control of the wholesale markets. Unrestricted imports are driving us to third world status. We either fight back and take control of our future or just give up and watch our proud profession get destroyed. It is our choice and now is the time. Tomorrow may be too late.I have no idea how but if we put our heads together we can do it and make this profession what it should be, healthy, sustainable and fair to the hardworking beekeepers all across the US. If we are going to have any kind of future in this profession we have to get off our duffs and demand that OUR government stop allowing any honey that is coming in. Until a beekeeper dominated honey board approves measures safeguarding all honey imports, not one more drop should be allowed in. My brother told me Walgreens is selling honey for a buck a pound. How many of us will be around in a few years if honey is going to retail for a buck? Beesource could provide a vital link to our Gov. officials to allow us to let them know in no uncertain terms that we will hold them accountable for the future of honeybees in our country. We area doing our best to ensure honeybees are here for our future and our childrens future while our gov. is undermining us by allowing dumping of contaminated, adulterated honey. Time to stop this insane practice of letting our market be completely destroyed. Can I get an AMEN?

·
Registered
255 Posts
It is time to mount an assault on the Honey Board. We need allowed in. My brother told me Walgreens is selling honey for a buck a pound. How many of us will be around in a few years if honey is going to retail for a buck?
I would seriously question whether or not the honey that walgreens is selling is really honey. you can't buy corn syrup for a buck a pound these days.

·
Registered
874 Posts
RE Sue Bee 123456
"Sounds like responsible behaviour to me."

Considering the present market it is probably the only response that they can have and still have market share at competitive prices (certain markets )
When in Rome you got do like the Romans...LEAVING A BAD TASTE IN MEMBERS AND CUSTOMERS MOUTHS

"The way to crush the bourgeois is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation." Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

·
Registered
574 Posts
better have something to back up those words or get yourself trouble,think its call slander.
Even a bad lawyer could get that case dismissed, and bringing such a suit would cost Sue Bee so much bad publicity that they could never hope to recover from the losses they would incur, and they are bright enough to understand that I'm sure. Better to let one negative opinion on a bulletin board with limited exposure that is in all liklihood protected free speech slide than to risk a very public humiliation in court and the presses with very unlimited exposure.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
As a member of Sue Bee I know how they test honey and how hard they work to keep that ''crap honey'' off the shelf,better have something to back up those words or get yourself trouble,think its call slander.
Sue Bee's president hides the tainted honey form government regulators. Should be 'conspiracy' to import tainted honey, and he should go to jail. All tainted foreign honey should be seized and destroyed, not recirculated into the market. GIVE ME A BREAK. If an association, corporation or any other so called organizations assists in this type of activity, all their assets and accounts should be seized and used for future enforcement of laws [isn't this what they do in drug seizures]. But, you can bet your last dollar this will never happen because there is money to be made on the cheap imports. I will be posting Sue Bee's president's quotes later on as it will make most who post on this forum puke.

Thanks for bringing Sue Bee's complacency to our attention. I will never buy their products again and will encourage others to refrain from doing the same.

Danny Unger

P.S. How can you slander someone as immoral on this issue as Sue Bee?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Even a bad lawyer could get that case dismissed, and bringing such a suit would cost Sue Bee so much bad publicity that they could never hope to recover from the losses they would incur, and they are bright enough to understand that I'm sure. Better to let one negative opinion on a bulletin board with limited exposure that is in all liklihood protected free speech slide than to risk a very public humiliation in court and the presses with very unlimited exposure.
I wasn't worried about it. I posted what their president or CEO said. Instead of attacking me for pointing out the obvious they, as members should organize and get them to stop importing honey all together. By not doing that they are keeping the price of their honey low...it's pretty obvious. Sue Bee knows what they are doing. If they cared about quality honey, after the first bad batch they would stop importing from that broker. It's all a shell game.

I would love to get them in court and subpoena all their import records for the last ten years. Something I am sure they would not want the public to see.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I would love to get them in court and subpoena all their import records for the last ten years. Something I am sure they would not want the public to see.
Yeah... it seldom works out in favor of the corporation to sue the little guy even if the little guy is wrong. It's just too much bad P.R.. Not that Sue Bee is giving themselves a good name amongst beekeepers by importing honey anyway, but a lawsuit would give them a bad name with John Q. Public (a.k.a. the customer) as well.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Maybe I am reading this all wrong but everyone seems to be slamming Sue Bee for not buying or packaging tainted imported honey. What makes this illegal or immoral? It was tested and didn't pass therefore not bought and packaged.
My concern is why no one seems to care about the other packers buying tainted imported honey not testing it and putting it on the store shelf. I thought that was the original problem.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts