Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I really enjoy seeing beekeeping in other parts of the world. The Yemeni people here in California are big honey consumers but very suspicious about adulteration. They have some method of heating and watching bubbles to detect it.

Didn't see anything about Jihad.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
In Islam, there is an entire Surah in the Qur'an called al-Nahl (the Honey Bee). According to hadith, Prophet Muhammad strongly recommended honey for healing purposes. Not only does the Qur'an promote honey as a nutritious and healthy food, it also describes that it is the female bee who creates honey within her stomach. Below is the English translation of those specific verses.

And your Lord inspired the bees, saying: "Take you habitations in the mountains and in the trees and in what they erect. Then, eat of all fruits, and follow the ways of your Lord made easy (for you)." There comes forth from their bellies, a drink of varying colour wherein is healing for men. Verily, in this is indeed a sign for people who think.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
It appeared they are using burlap as inner covers. The hives all looked like nucs though. Are they producing honey from many small hives, rather than a smaller number of large hives? Is this due to them being nomadic beekeepers, and small hives are easier to transport than large hives for them?

I've heard of mead being an aphrodisiac. It has long been used as a wedding gift, to take the edge off the wedding night jitters.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
One thing I gotta say; that ol boy beekeeper in the video looks like he could live to be 110. There are a lot of Armenians here in Fresno and the old timers all like to take a spoonful every morning like medicine. The Yemenis view it the same way I think.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Maybe they can keep smaller hives because they don't need big brood boxes to get through the winter freezes with their bee clusters.

I now take 3 tablespoons of honey every evening, in either green tea, twig tea, or in warm milk, just because I think it's good for me in all ways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.