Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a hive die over the winter. It has several frames of honey still intact. Looks like the cluster was just too small. Is it okay to clean the dead bees and any brood off the frames and leave the honey. There were 3 supers on the hive so if I put in a new package, it will be 3 supers. I’m assuming that after a Michigan winter I won’t want to harvest the honey. Is it okay to drop a package into a 3 deep super hive? Also we had several days of -10 in a row so any mite or waxmoth larva would be dead, right?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Temperature of -10 in the winter kills off wax moth eggs and larvae, but as soon as weather warms re-infestation can happen. I don't see why a Michigan winter makes honey not suitable for harvest. If the honey was in a honey super and not in brood nest, and you didn't feed sugar syrup or treat with medication when those frames were in the hive, it is fine to harvest the honey.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Welcome to beekeeping. Beekeeping is local, so you should identify your location in the profile area, and do not assume a Michigan beekeeper can do something because someone in Missouri or Virginia is doing it. The honey can be extracted for human consumption (if typical treatment restrictions followed last year), but would be perfect food for your new package. There should be no reason to create a “3 deep superhive”, which was earlier identified as being “3 supers on the hive” (which implies a hive with brood boxes AND 3 honey supers). Too much hive space can be problematic for a package installation - start with a box (or combination of boxes) equal to a ten (10) frame deep (or my favorite - eight (8) frame deep). You have not identified the size of your honey supers (deep, medium, shallow - simple description whether 8 or 10 frame), but a single deep or single medium should have sufficient space for a package installation; add boxes later as the bees establish need for more space.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts