Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find any references to this, has anyone tried to make it?

I'm thinking of simply substituting honey for sugar at a 3:4 ratio in a standard vanilla base and churning it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I don't think you can replace all the original sweetener with honey, i think the crystals play a role in the end consistency of the ice cream.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Will see you for ice cream honey and waffles very soon ASTRO lzombee

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yes I did I did not see you there though when we ordered our food I seen you walk up after we left

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I ate honey ice cream at a BetterBee seminar in NY, it was great! I think one of the guys is on this forum, is it Chris Cripps? Not sure.

·
Beesource.com Sponsor
106 Posts
The Betterbee Field Day has featured honey ice cream for a number of years. This was set up by the Stevens' before we bought the company.

The Ice Cream Man is the one that makes the honey ice cream. Julia Reynolds has just sold the business, but it seems that the new owners are continuing in a similar manner. The sale was after the past Field Day, and I have not met the new owners.

http://www.the-ice-cream-man.com/about

I am not sure if they came up with the recipe, or if it was provided to them. We take them honey, they make the ice cream, and it is good! They usually make a batch of a few gallons special for us, it is not one of their regular or rotating flavors.

This year's Betterbee Field Day will be June 24, 2017 at the Washington County Fairgrounds. Tom Seeley will be the featured speaker. I expect we will have honey ice cream again.

Chris Cripps
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I sure do hope they continue with the honey ice cream at the BB field day...I mean I now know that Tom Seeley will be there, but if there is no honey ice cream I have to give this some thought....;);)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I just found a honey ice cream recipe (1945).
2 c. milk
¾ c. honey
¼ tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 cup cream

-Scald 2 cups whole milk, add honey and salt. Beat eggs. Pour scalded milk into the egg mixture and stir until well blended.Return to double boiler and cook for 3 or 4 minutes. Cool.Beat cream and gold into custard mixture. Freeze in refrig. freezer. Stir once or twice while freezing.
There is another for Honey Peppermint Ice Cream.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts