Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hubby wants my bee stuff out of the garage and out of our house! (He's beginning to sound like a wife! :D) He's willing to build me something but I have no clue of what that might look like. I'm a hobbyist, at this point not thinking more than 10 hives ultimately. Would probably also house some garden tools and such. Any recommendations for size and setup? Anyone have any pictures you would be willing to post? I'm starting from scratch so I would like to do this right. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Here is a garden house my husband and I built. I love the post and perlin style of construction. You build it mostly on the ground and just raise it up.

Space between the posts is 10 feet. Scissor or valted trusses. Interior is shown with twin wall polycarbonate roof and sides.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Here are two photos I took off the internet of hive houses. Do a search on European houses, they have the best designs

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Here is where I am going to build my honey processing room. I built it a few years ago for a wash stall for my horses, but it wasn't quite right for the large volume of water washing the horses would have created and it has just been a storage room until now. It has a slightly sloped concrete floor with a small 6" drain-good enough to drain off hot water from spraying off all the honey processing equipment after use. Bottom 4' of wall is rubber matted, top half is cedar stained and sealed well with spar urethane.
8'X12' room will be easy to heat and big enough for a 3 compartment sink, good sized honey extractor, holding tank and lots of 5 gallon buckets. East facing window keeps the room warm without additional heat. I'll have to build a door to keep out the bees, but that is no big deal.
Hope these photos help!

Heres how the room was framed:

The other half of this stall is my canning room

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, Lauri - great job on the construction! I'll have to do a search on both of those items - European & perlin. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't even see the last entry - but that helps a lot for thing I need to be considering. Much appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you wanting a storage area for bee hives, extractor and ?packaging honey?????

Thread back in Jan on basic honey and storage facilites with expansion capabilities under Bee Forum
Check
http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?263365-Progressive-Honey-House-plans-)&highlight=honey+house under
Mgolden, can't wait to check out the link. Thanks! I was sorta thinking all of the above, but not a place for BEES themselves. I'm just getting started thinking about this and have never even SEEN a honey house, so I don't even know what all I need. Knew folks here would have some good ideas.

Old Guy - my husband asked the same thing! LOL.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I think they call them post jacks. A square tube with a hand crank style winch on each post.

You put your perlins on every other section, raise up each section then just add your perlins in between.

Two people on two posts crank one side a few feet, then go over to the other side until you have each section raised to height. Just bolt the truss onto your posts.

Here is my husband and our friend raising the truss section

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I realize it may be more than you need at this time but check out the expandable plans in the first post and there was a number of good ideas amongst the subsequent posts.

Will give you some ideas to think about!

Also suggest you go to youtube and call up something like "120 Frame Honey Exxtracting Line" to see uncapping and extracting.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lauri - again, great pix - thanks.

Mgolden - been reading over the posts - a LOT to consider! It is certainly beyond MY scope, but I did see there are some hints to be gleaned that would apply in any situation. Great info - thanks! Now...on to YouTube! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts