Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got 20 hives in two separate spots. I recently moved some to this new spot on the prairie and the bees are booming! I need to get them all here. The area has a lot of rose hedge, tallow trees, and fallow rice fields. Pollen does not seem to be an issue. The brood frames are from two different hives both with a deep under excluder with medium super on top.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Ya, I’ve got a chance to open a yard along the nearby river where I live. My ole bk’n bud says there ain’t nothing better for native tree forage. Isn’t anyplace that I can plop twenty hives but ten’ll do for my honey customers.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes mine are along a creek they are up pretty high but flooding is always a concern when next to water

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I am about 1/2 mile from a major (for here) river. Everything within the 100 year flood plane is natural/open space and I think my bees go down there for most of the summer when it is not spring bloom. I can watch them fly out of the hive and head in the direction of the river. I have a several month long nectar flow and I think it is because there is all of the wild plants and trees that grow along the river.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts