Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have everything I need to start harvesting. I have 7 medium suppers with wired foundation. I have two shallow supers with cut comb foundation. I was going to do cut comb but would rather just harvest if I can run them in my radial extractor. Can I run no wire foundation through a radial extractor?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Prepare for a mess if you do. Even wired foundation at times will blow out on you in the extractor. The best thing to do with cut comb if you aren't going to package it as is, is to possibly cut large chunks and put into pint or quart jars when filling them. Lots of people love to get both the comb and honey in one jar. Also raises the price tag some too..

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Were I doing so, I would use a large extractor and put the unwired frames in spaces between properly placed frames. They will look like you won't get the honey out of them, but you will. I had a 30 frame Kelley extractor which I dbl stacked 66 frames into and it ran really well and extracted the combs cleanly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been successful extracting frames with no foundation at all in a radial extractor. Just the comb that the bees drew. I made sure they were well seated and brought the the speed up slowly.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I extracted 150+ shallow foundationless (most new comb) through a tangential and had 4 or 5 that had problems. Many of the frames were just attached a few small spot on the bottom bar.

I also did many foundationless deeps and they were a lot more fragile, need to flip often and still get blow outs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts