Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started winter with two hives, one colony moved up early due to the bizzar weather we had in early winter and ended up starving, the bottom box was 3/4 full of honey and the top still had about 10% remaining. The second hive made it through, but I think they have a virgin queen no brood at all! Anyway, the hive that survived was low on stores so I cleaned the dead bee's out of the other hive and they have been robbing that hive and packing it away! I now have a deep that is 75% full. Today I took all the boxes I had extracted this fall and put those out for them to clean up and pack into their hive. Question is when they are done can I extract that honey and eat it or will it have fermented or gone bad?

Thanks for the feed back.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
usually over wintered honey crystallizes and is impossible to extract unless you are a bee.

I would just thro wit in the freezer and feed it next fall

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Or you could use it to feed a split, a nuc, or a package. Make bees out of it! get more honey that way this year?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
ChevyD
Since your question wasn't read correctly to be answered correctly I will answer it for you. What your bees are robbing and placing in their hive should be fine to extract. There might be some granulation with what they already had left over in their hive. Another thing to consider is did you use any medication or mite treatments in the hive that is being robbed out or in the hive you want to extract from.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
You said that this is from the bottom box. Did you start them off last year on sugar syrup or is this real honey? If you fed sugar syrup I would not extract it because it is likely that it really isn't honey.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts