Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in northeast Ohio and one of my hives that I treated in the late fall (after the supers were removed) with oxalic acid (dribble method) didn’t make it through the winter. Is it safe to harvest the capped honey from the hive? It appears to be in good condition.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
I’m in northeast Ohio and one of my hives that I treated in the late fall (after the supers were removed) with oxalic acid (dribble method) didn’t make it through the winter. Is it safe to harvest the capped honey from the hive? It appears to be in good condition.
According to the Feds' ruling (Feb 2021), it is safe.

·
Registered
714 Posts
If it isn't full frames of honey I like to use those in splits. It gives them food and drawn comb to get started with. Just make sure to close down the entrance of the split so they don't get robbed out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it isn't full frames of honey I like to use those in splits. It gives them food and drawn comb to get started with. Just make sure to close down the entrance of the split so they don't get robbed out.
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts
If they are fully capped there is no reason to take some for yourself.

If not capped, I'd give to another colony to finish off before harvest, or yes, use as a food source for splits. But sugar syrup is cheap, my honey isn't :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.