Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if it is possible to get bees in a tree to share a little honey?

I am considering trying to add a box and connect the entrance to the tree with the back of a box so the bees are forced to go through the box to get into the tree.

Similar to the way some folks do a trap out but not using the cone and see of the bees will store some honey in a box.

It is just an idea, and I was wondering if anyone has tried anything like that?

It may be a really dumb idea?

Happy Home

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,547 Posts
bees tend to move brood toward the entrance/fresh air.
to get a bit of honey, setting up a trap hive in an attractive place, catching the prime swarm in the spring would likely bear more "honey"

however keep the progress shared here so other can see the posibilities.

GG

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
IMO, this time of year the bees are preparing for winter. To do so, they need the honey to be near the brood. If the frames immediately above and around the brood are full, they'll stash surplus in a nearby location, such as the supers that we harvest. What we see as surplus they se as winter rations. They need it to be nearby so they don't have to break cluster in the cold to get to it. So ask yourself, "Self, if I put a long corridor between the brood and their winter stash, will they be willing to use it?"
By all means, if you have the resources to spare, have your experiment and let us know.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not decided to try this, I was just thinking and wondering if anyone else had tried it, or even thought about it. I am sure that If it do try it it will be early spring when I set it up. and take it down about this time of year. to let them have the natural tree for the winter.

I am attempting a trap out on another tree that the owner wants the bees gone because he has a couple of little kids, and the tree is close to the yard. but that is going to be another story.

I appreciate the responses from you guys.

Happy Home

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I usually drive the bees out of the tree with Bee Go into a net, then move them into a hive back at the yard. Often it is best to newspaper combine them with an established colony so they don't abscond.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts