Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kept back about ten medium frames with capped honey on them for late winter or early spring and left plenty (I think) of honey in the supers for over wintering. I was told you cannot leave too much honey in the supers for winter.

My question is this, when I decide to put these frames into the supers in late winter, should I uncap it to make it easier for the girls or does it really matter?

I am a second year beekeeper and last year was the first time I took any honey so the allocation of honey for my and the bees is still new to me.

Thanks in advance.

Soapy

·
Registered
939 Posts
I'd leave it alone. Uncapped honey may make the bees break cluster. Much less, don't open the hives colder than say, 50 degrees. We don't want this in winter. During the warmer months, this was a way for the beekeeper to "Revive" old honey frames. They uncapped the frames and re-inserted them. The bees will eat all the honey and directly re-fill them with fresh stuff. So if one frame had an odd taste, it may be older and not as desirable.

Might be better to hold onto them until spring (above 50 degree temps) so you can check on their supplies and add as needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts