Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just extracted my final 4 boxes of supers from my producing hives last night. Yea!!! 90 lbs of beautiful honey.

I have the honey split between two 5 gallon buckets. I stirred a hole in the top of the honey to get past the little bit of floating wax layer and dribbled a drop on the refractometer. Measured at 17%. Calibrated the refractometer with Extra virgin olive oil to 71.5%, it was still good from last calibration a couple weeks ago.

Question is : I measured from the top of the bucket. I did not stir the honey after it was in the bucket. When extracting, I just had the honey gate open and it ran directly into a double strainer and into the bucket.

Is that a valid measurement? The frames were mostly 95 to 100% capped. Some down to maybe 80%, and one very questionable frame that was capped on one side, but not at all on the other, but looked like it was skinning over and about to be capped. I didn't do a shake on it at the hive because the robbing frenzy is strong in my apiary now. I figured this one would just mix in with the vast majority of the honey and not be a problem.

Do I need to do a big stir in the buckets before measuring? The honey was in the buckets 12 hours since it was extracted.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I think you are good. If their was high humidity in the room there could be some moisture pick up at the surface. That would float though and if anything should give a higher moisture reading.

If you want to get a more representative sample take a drinking straw, hold your finger over the end, push down into the honey, remove finger till straw fills, put your finger back on and pull out your strawful of honey from the center of the bucket.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I think you are good. If their was high humidity in the room there could be some moisture pick up at the surface. That would float though and if anything should give a higher moisture reading.

If you want to get a more representative sample take a drinking straw, hold your finger over the end, push down into the honey, remove finger till straw fills, put your finger back on and pull out your strawful of honey from the center of the bucket.
Great idea frank.. I'll do that.

double points for "I now have a straw full of honey that I must eat". I mean, it wouldn't be right to put it back into the batch, right ;)

Don

Update: did the straw test and it was still 17%. yea!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts