Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how the flow is this year. I have 20 hives and they are slow please let me know I spoke with another keeper he said the same thing I live in Rome thanks

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I can't claim as much as Mike, but earlier this week I helped a friend take honey from his hives and we took an average of one medium per colony. I am going to get into my hives next week and start pulling for extracting.

The nectar flow in the northern part of NY opposite where Mikes bees are has slowed, but not stopped. They were flying yesterday, pretty well.

Goldenrod has been in bloom here and there around here since July 7th. We have just started having the first fall sorta days and nights. Days when there is that cool breeze even though it is or will be 70 or 80. And last night it was down in the 50s. I'm not sure, but I believe that goldenrod needs the cool nights and hot days in order to yield. Kinda like maple trees and sap.

I have heard from friends in New Hartford that this has been a good year for them so far.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I'm 45 min southeast of Albany. Everyone I know with bees has said it's been a very good year so far. My bees are doing well, went from nucs this Spring to two deeps full, saw them bringing in pollen yesterday. We've had some hot dryness the past 2 weeks, so maybe the nectar is a bit less right now, but it's been a good year for bees I'm told.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I pulled my honey early July, averaged about one med per hive, less than normal, my partner said worst year in 40 years. the hottest May ever and then a frost towards the end of may(22 degrees, wiped out alot of apples) seems to have damaged many nectar producing plants. none of my yards that normally get locus nor bass wood did anything, yet I had two new high elevation yards that didn't get frosted and they had wonderful early flows, most of my honey came from these two yards. Problem that I have had is even though the frost got the nectar plants, the pollen plants seemed to have survived, so I have many hives that are pollen bound even with very good queens. MY first batch of nucs I made up, I normally put in one frame of nectar, never had a problem, this year making them up around the same time, I had to put in caped honey as the hives didn't have any nector. Some yards were so bad that in the beginning of june i was tempted to pull the supers and start feeding, these yars were near my buddies, they never had a flow until the end of june. From what I have observed the Napp weed doesn't appear to be giving off any nectar so far, and the golden rod is not as thick or tall as last year, so I'm looking at pulling the rest of my honey early, especially as all the bloom has been appx. two weeks early.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
And goldenrod hasn't even started yet. Though it has been in bloom for a while. Still could be better than last year. I hope it is anyway.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
And goldenrod hasn't even started yet. Though it has been in bloom for a while. Still could be better than last year. I hope it is anyway.
having moved here from Mass. about 6 years ago, the golden rod, when I first started keeping bees would provide a great flow consistently, about 15 years ago the golden rod started to thin out and seemed to get weaker?. the first three years up here, it was like the old days, now it seems to be thinning out up here also. Last year going from yard to yard with my buddy, I said look at that abandonded field, whats wrong? he said theres no golden rod left, I said when I first moved here the entire field would have been yellow, now nothing, also it seems the napp weed also pushes out the golden rod, my high elevation yards still get a good golden rod flow, but the lower yards are getting less and less each year, thats why I have pulled my honey early the last three years. I'm thinking we should import some from down south mayby it will be more heat tolerant. Last year when I went to Mass in August, went by some of my old yards(the golden rod was in full bloom up here) and the golden rod had allready gone to seed down there, any botonists in the crowd like to comment??

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Knapweed. See why spelling still is important? :D
i never could spell, but now that I know the correct spelling I looked it up and found this interesting.

The two knapweeds are harmful mainly because they are strongly allelopathic, producing powerful toxins in their roots that stunt the growth of plants around them not adapted to this

guess this is one reason that golden rod is going the way of the dinasoar.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Last year when I went to Mass in August, went by some of my old yards(the golden rod was in full bloom up here) and the golden rod had allready gone to seed down there, any botonists in the crowd like to comment??
Bloom time varies according to area. My Goldenrod in the Champlain Valley blooms way before the Ithaca area or the St. Lawrence Valley. I think Buffalo is even later than them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the info, looked at two of my hives today they are working goldenrod. I seen them bringing in alot of pollen and I could smell honey from the outside hopfully the goldenrod will make up for the spring flow.

·
Registered
240 Posts
hay hhp.my hives are also slow going this year.the goldenrod that is in bloom this time of year only prodoces pollen.hope to see you a the picnic next week

1 - 20 of 23 Posts