Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got new buckets and lid's put honey in and put up, i opened one up it smelled like beer so i opened all 6 and all was the same some has like a foam on like 4 of them. i so wanted to pass out i'm new and have no clue. what can i do with it now?? mikesbeeremoval yahoo com

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
Try selling it to brewmasters for beer and mead.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Moisture content to high. That is if it really fermented. Was a lot of air incorporated into the honey causing bubbles that floated to the top. Have you tasted it to see if it has a bad taste. It could be the floral source that is giving it the smell.

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
I get fermented honey when I leave the supers on well into winter, I guess they absorb moisture from the wet winter air. Last year I extracted a crop produced in winter that ran out of the extractor like water and then fermented, I assume that was maybe due to the nectar flower source.
The bubbles are due to the fermentation process.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Next time before you extract honey shake the combs over a sheet of newspaper. If you find drops of honey give the combs back to the bees, the honey is not ripe. Store honey always in a sealed container, never let the bucked or jar open.

·
Registered
456 Posts
maybe you had small hive beetles in supers.or was some not capped off yet. we pull frames that might have uncapped honey around edges,but we shake it first to see if any shakes out.
Don

·
Registered
261 Posts
While the discussion is onfermented honey I wouldlike to what to do with my dark cappings.I have not got into candel making and probably won't with my age. I am 71 Thanks for your answers

·
Registered
36 Posts
I make wine and mead. I know that yeast must be present for fermentation. Sounds like there is a source of wild yeast in your honey.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes a Refractometor is a great way to check you honey for moisture. I have to some times blend honey with a high water content with honey having a low moisture. Betterbee sells one already calibrated for about 85.00

1 - 15 of 15 Posts