Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am on a great flow right now and the honey supers are filling up fast I have not purchased an extractor yet everybody I talk to says the maxant is the best what makes it so superior say to one from dadant or man lake the maxant definitley is more expensive any advise would be much appreciated thanks

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm sure you will find that everyone likes what they have. I have the 18 frame Mann Lake and it works great......I would buy one again.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Probably depends on how many hives you plan to grow into ... and your budget. I have the Maxant 3100P and really like it. Extractors are kind of like sheds, you never have one big enough.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Quality, American made, Easy to get parts, Customer service; those make one over the other superior and a better value in the long run.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Maxant and Dadant are both made with heavier gauge sheet metal. They are both made here in the US and will out live most bee keepers.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So how many productive hives do you think a 9 frame extractor can handle efficiently thats the one I got my eye on?

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
When it comes to efficiency two extractors are better than one even if they are smaller. You load one while the other is spinning. Just saying... Only you know what your growth goals are so you will have to figure what size you want to start with.

·
Registered
108 Posts
So how many productive hives do you think a 9 frame extractor can handle efficiently thats the one I got my eye on?
I think most times we run 15-20 minutes on ours, starting slow and building up to prevent blow outs and to drain them real good. So based on this, you could extract between 3 and 4 supers in an hour with a 9 frame. Keep in mind that while the machine is going (provided you aren't hand cranking) you will be busy uncapping the next batch.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I like the 18 frame unit. I keep 9 medium frames in my supers, so I can extract 2 full supers at a time and that usually gets me a 5 gallon pail of honey.

·
Registered
371 Posts
When it comes to efficiency two extractors are better than one even if they are smaller. You load one while the other is spinning. Just saying... Only you know what your growth goals are so you will have to figure what size you want to start with.
Yep, i run a pair of 6 frame radials and there is almost no down time when neither is running when I am extracting. One spins while I unload and load the other. I have less into these 2 than i would have into a 12 or larger extractor. I may not be able to extract honey from 150 hives but for the 50 or so I'll run on honey this year, they will work just fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts