Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at the hives this morning it has become obvious I am going to need to get an extractor. I tried to lift two supers off one hive at once and decided that was not a good idea. Very heavy! I have a lot of $$ in the bees this year so not a lot left for an expensive extractor. Looking to spend around $200. Suggestions would be appreciated to make sure I don't buy a piece of junk.

Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Crush and Strain or find a bee club near you that might rent an extractor. I personally crushed and strained about 75lbs off 2 hives 2 weeks ago and than found out my bee club lends out their extractor to members and you just have to make sure its clean on return.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I've used a fork and just scraped down my plastic foundation langstroth frames. That was only one supper and it worked out great. Then you could let it sit for a day or so and then scoop off the wax and the little bit of honey you might get from the capping floating to the top into a paint filter. I used a five gallon bucket with a drop in paint filter. Wouldn't you know it I loaned my honey extractor out to a friend just before that.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spent a lot of money to get the bees going this year and trying to limit the costs now. However I want to do thing the correct way. I have 8 hives active 6 of which are doing a good job of building honey. If all works out I will have 10 supers to process. And things are going good. I seen from this years build up of my first two hives installed on drawn comb thanks to my loss last year. There are three supers on each of those hives I want to save my comb for reuse. What I am looking for is recommendations on a good two frame extractor.

Thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
I made a honey press if you're interest I will post picture. My only cost was the threaded rod and a flange and a nut.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ask at your bee club. Someone will have one that you can use.
Charlie

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ask at your bee club. Someone will have one that you can use.
Charlie
Most folks in most bee clubs are pretty friendly. I'd like to think you'll have several that will invite you over to extract with them for a year or two until you can save up. We had five different guys extracting on my friend's extractor one year. Two have since bought their own. My buddy actually likes others using his for a few supers-it means he has helpers, and he gets a little extra honey out of the uncapping tub as well.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I would try to borrow one. Crush and strain is not more work. I can crush and strain faster than I can extract with an 18 frame radial as far as my work. A two frame extractor is a LOT more time and work than crush and strain... But if you can borrow an extractor you can have all of that drawn comb to increase your yield next year.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I spent a lot of money to get the bees going this year and trying to limit the costs now. However I want to do thing the correct way. I have 8 hives active 6 of which are doing a good job of building honey. If all works out I will have 10 supers to process. And things are going good. I seen from this years build up of my first two hives installed on drawn comb thanks to my loss last year. There are three supers on each of those hives I want to save my comb for reuse. What I am looking for is recommendations on a good two frame extractor.

Thanks
Well stated, to me the issue is how to save the comb not how to get the honey. Actually I have no idea what I am going to do with the honey. Crush and strain advocates seem to be all about the honey. As for two frame extraction being more work, well what good is a hobby if you can't enjoy the process, extraction is part of the process if you use foundation. High volume is obviously a different issue.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I bought one on ebay for 319. Stainless, 4 deeps or 8 Meds. Worked better than I expected. I didn't want to spend the money either, but decided I'd buy one I could use in the future and get use out of it this year. I think it was well worth it....

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a little left in the budget yet. I figure I have a few weeks and have been reading about the extractors available in my price range. I am leaning towards the Maxant. If I want to upgrade it down the road I can.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
The extractor may not be available when you want it. it's best to first check with maxant regarding availability as they have had delays in shipping extractors during honey extraction season in the past.
The delay, if there is any, is understandable IMO as this is probably their busiest time of year.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts