Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchases an older honey extractor an online auction for $25..will hold at least 4-8 frames it didn't come with a hand crank or motor I'm trying to figure out how to install a motor to extract honey. Anyone have a good idea?

DCFC0016 (2).JPG

DCFC0015.JPG

·
Registered
208 Posts
We have an old one that is very similar. It is at my in-laws home now. I'll try to remember to take a picture the next time I go there. It has a "shade tree engineered attached" motor on the side of it. Looks like it was an old washing machine motor.

·
Super Moderator
11,162 Posts
One option is to mount a motor to one side of the extractor and run a V-belt to the existing pulley. You could build a separate frame to support the motor, or hang the motor over the outside edge of the extractor.

A variable speed motor recycled from an free/cheap treadmill is one inexpensive option for powering the extractor. The linked thread has photos of an extractor powered by a treadmill motor with a motor support structure:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?271001-My-home-made-extractor!
It is not a 'conversion' per se, but a newly constructed extractor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We purchases an older honey extractor an online auction for $25..will hold at least 4-8 frames it didn't come with a hand crank or motor I'm trying to figure out how to install a motor to extract honey. Anyone have a good idea?

I have one just like it. Theres no name on it, but I think its a old A.I.Root. Ive been told that Kellys used to make one like it. The top bar on the extractor has 2 holes on one end, another bracket fits in these holes, it has 2 verticle pulleys, a big wing nut, a fiber washer, & a thrust bearing. The more you tighten the wingnut, the faster it spins. Has a belt from cage top pulley to bracket pulley, then a belt from other bracket pulley to motor. mine has a washing machine motor. I have it mounted to a wooden stand, with the motor attached to the stand. I can send you pictures to a cell phone if you want them. I bought this ext. along with a pickup load of other good stuff about 30 years ago. I camcoated the extractor because it is galvanized. Been using it all these years & its still good.

·
Registered
137 Posts
make sure you know the rpm of the motor and then buy your pullies to give you a correct rpm on the extractor end, doubt you want a 3600rpm extractor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts