Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of question concerning when to extract honey. Do I need to wait until the honey is capped? If I don’t wait for the honey to be capped how do I know when to extracts the honey? How do I know if the honey has too much moisture and what are my options for using and storing the honey?
Thanks
Jay T

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
"Do I need to wait until the honey is capped?" Yes
"If I don’t wait for the honey to be capped how do I know when to extracts the honey?" You won't know unless you can measure it !
"How do I know if the honey has too much moisture " Purchase a refractometer for honey.
"what are my options for using and storing the honey? " If it is too wet the only viable option would be to make mead with it. If it is dry enough then it can be stored in pails or jars.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fuz man
one more question, can be eaten fresh out of the comb? how long will it last and how about if you put it in the fridge????

Thanks

Jay T

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
You don't need (or want to) refrigerate honey. When I was a kid we didn't have an extractor so we just used honey as it came, in the comb. You can just spread it, comb and honey, on toast or eat it by the spoonful. Swallowing the wax or not is a personal preference. On toast you will, eaten by itself, you can do whatever you want.

It will crystallize at some point (faster in the refrigerator), but if it was capped it last a long time.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I saw a story in one of the mags where a guy would screw two wedges to the side of a frame and set it on the table. you could just run your plate w/toast under it and scrape open some cells. Otherwise, honey will last indefinitely and yes you can eat it comb and all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts