Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like much of western U.S., we have smoke in my town (Southern British Columbia).

I'd like to extract honey from my frames. Will smoke significantly affect honey flavor?

Considering smoker tool has never seem to been a concern for honey flavor. The wildfire smoke is less concentrated, albeit around 24hrs.

Thanks,
michael

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I would think not, but don't speak from experience. Right now the honey is protected by the cappings. Once you extract, lid your bucket while it settles. Then of course, bottle and lid the bottles. I think the exposure of the honey to air is so slight, it will not effect it. J

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Can you extract in a closed room with an air filter to minimize the amount of smoke particulate?

My suspension, but I don't have any data or experience to back this up is that the honey will pick up a bit of smoke flavor as it is coming out of the frames. As it is being extracted (assuming not crush and strain) small droplets of honey are flying thru the air with a relatively large surface area relative to their size (compared to a frame or bucket). Honey is sticky and I suspect any smoke particles the honey droplets encounter will get stuck in the honey and change the flavor. Sitting in the frames or a bucket there is no/minimal forced air around the honey to transfer smoke particles, but when it is getting thrown out of a frame there is a lot of air movement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts