Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

HONEY BUCKETS and grades of plastic

3693 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  pbuhler
What exactly are the specs for food grade containers used for storing honey?
Where I work, I get pet vitamin mixes in plastic buckets marked HDPE. The vitamins are inside a plastic bag that lines the 5 gal bucket. There is no chance of bleeding of odors/taste into the plastic bucket. These come from a food/feed grade distributor of vitamins and nutrient water treatments. Wiki says HDPE is used in milk jugs but I still don't know if they could be used for honey. Anybody know?:s
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Premium Member
2,511 Posts
I do not. I get all of my buckets from the local bakery for free. They use them for frosting (Brill?) and they are commercially food grade. I was curious when I was first getting them and looked for the differences (cavity mold, date stamp etc) between the bucket they sell at HD and the buckets I get from the bakery. Short of one being orange I found no differences but I didn't look at the chemically. Personally unless you find something definitive that indicates these are food grade I wouldn't use them.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.