Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I buy a little ~2 gallon plastic honey bucket with tap/ faucet?

I think it is neat feature to distribute honey into smaller jars instead of spilling it all over when pouring from a bucket.

·
Registered
Survivor stock & Buckfast in Langstroth 8F’s
322 Posts
You can get a honey gate from Amazon, although I would recommend a 5 gal bucket. Or build a smaller one from SS fittings you can purchase at any hardware store.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,459 Posts
I have some square buckets and a cambrio container with a honey gate that works well. If you only have 2 gallons of honey it might be easier to just use a laddle.

·
Premium Member
Honey Hive Farms: We deliver bee packages, queens & bulk honey in 8 states
317 Posts
Lowes has some, United Solutions brand.
$3.88

Your going to have to put your valve in the bucket yourself by drilling in a hole and installing a ring gasket (lowes sales) and then maybe using a pvc valve.
Do not drill the hole at the very very bottom or the ring gasket wont work.
Hope this helps a little

·
Registered
38 Posts
Where can I buy a little ~2 gallon plastic honey bucket with tap/ faucet?

I think it is neat feature to distribute honey into smaller jars instead of spilling it all over when pouring from a bucket.
Just buy a honey extractor with open in down. Fix a tap there. You don't need buckets and all. Just fill jars directly after extraction. Or if you really need bucket then go for Amazon.🙂

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Just buy a honey extractor with open in down. Fix a tap there. You don't need buckets and all. Just fill jars directly after extraction. Or if you really need bucket then go for Amazon.🙂
Don't most extractors come with a hole for a honey gate? (I think that's what you're suggesting.)

I don't know about anybody else, but I like to strain my honey before bottling to get the odd bee parts, grass, etc. out of it. People I sell to want 'natural' honey...but not so natural that they have to pick bee legs out of their teeth. Seeing 'stuff' floating in the jars kind of puts them off a bit.

ETA:

I use homebrew brew buckets, dual-purpose so more bang for my bucks. Leave a few pounds of honey in the bottom, add water, pitch yeast starter...sometimes about 20lbs of (mashed) fruit go in too, or apple cider instead of water...or If I want a braggot, put a kettle of malt on and add that after it cools.

Pop on a grommeted lid, add airlock and let it go to work.

RDWHAHB

Reactions: Rishi

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't most extractors come with a hole for a honey gate? (I think that's what you're suggesting.)

I don't know about anybody else, but I like to strain my honey before bottling to get the odd bee parts, grass, etc. out of it. People I sell to want 'natural' honey...but not so natural that they have to pick bee legs out of their teeth. Seeing 'stuff' floating in the jars kind of puts them off a bit.
True, I want to pour the extracted honey thru the strainer onto the next bucket with a gate.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
True, I want to pour the extracted honey thru the strainer onto the next bucket with a gate.
I put the strainer on a bucket with a honey gate, right out of the extractor. It's one less bucket and no pouring, just heave it onto the counter and bottle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts