Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spotted honey bees eating peaches. What are they taking back to the hive? I’m talking a lot of bees, the peaches were not harvested and left to drop and rot. :s

·
Registered
75 Posts
I used to have peach trees years ago and the bees would do the same thing. At first, I thought they were jus drinking the juice out of the peaches, but they would take large sections of the flesh of the peach. I had never heard of that before. I would like to try some peach flavored honey.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Textbooks say bees do NOT eat fruit. But, I too have seen fruit w/ holes made by something (bees?) and the bees taking up the "sweet juice".

I always think the bees must be in bad need of FRESH WATER!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have bees in a peach orchard and the pickers were complaining about the bees eating peaches. I told them birds probably pecked the peaches and then the bees were after the juice. They had to wear gloves to pick the peaches. Maybe they do eat peaches! Now that I think about it I did not see many birds around.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
So,,,will the "flavor" of peaches from the sugar be in the honey?? If that works, that opens some doors to "Gourmet Honey":D I think Southern Sweet Arizona Tea honey would sell like hot cakes at a $$$$.
All seriousness aside,,,I thought about giving my bees Wild
Turkey and they could do the mixing with the honey for that "Wild Turkey Honey" liqueur. I'm thinkin thr bees would never make it back to the hive.:D:D

Rick SoMd

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
I´ve seen bees taking advantages of mangos here in Honduras. Usually this happens right at the end of the honey season when the flowers are basically over. The mangos fall, split open and the bees can get at the juices.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s313/Tomas_fotos/Mangotreesintheapiary.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s313/Tomas_fotos/Beeslikemangostoo.jpg

This also has happened with papayas. The owner of the land where I have one of my yards mentioned that my bees were eating his papayas. What happened, however, was that birds got at the papaya first and the bees took advantage of the hole they left.

---------
Tom

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have lived on a farm, with all types of fruit trees and have found that the bees the sugar from the juices just like sugar water.and it makes good honey.bees do well in the grape vineyards.because their honey flow over when the graps are on the grond .good luck rock.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hmmm... could you sell it as honey if it was made from fruit juice?? Isn't 'woodland' honey made from honeydew or something?

Weird...

·
Registered
201 Posts
My bees were all over my figs this year. the hornets chew holes in them and the bees drink the juice. They also loved the fermenting ones, I had two -three weeks where orientation looked more like a walk about. Turns out my mystery disease was just a bunch of drunk Russians. :D

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm going to take a stab in the dark here, but I think it has to do with the percentage of sugar that the fruit has produced also known as the brix value. Fruit breeding has many goals, one being a sweeter friut. Over the last 25 years the brix values have gone up quite a lot (around 20-23%) on newly developed cultivars of fruit (peaches, apples, grapes). I guess the girls have figured it out. That sure could make for a bad day of picking ripe peaches!

·
Registered
1 Posts
{And your Lord inspired to the bee, "Take for yourself among the mountains, houses, and among the trees and [in] that which they construct. Then eat from all the fruits and follow the ways of your Lord laid down [for you]." There emerges from their bellies a drink, varying in colors, in which there is healing for people. Indeed in that is a sign for a people who give thought.}

The Noble Quran verse (16:68-69)

·
Registered
765 Posts
over the summer when we would find bad watermellons in our garden we would always throw them in the same spot and thee bees loved the mellons I just figured that was a good thing that my mellons had high sugar content

1 - 17 of 17 Posts