Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some feedback on the Honey Bee Healthy. For some; history yesterday I asked if anyone had used Honey Bee healthy as a spray to us on their Bees in stood of smoke. Yesterday I put some Honey Bee Healthy in sugar water, it didn’t work very well the sugar water got all the Bees sticky. Today I used the Honey Bee healthy in water only worked grate. When I used Sugar water and HBH I got 8 stings, when I used water and HBH only 0 stings. So there it is if you are concerned as I was about starting a fire use Honey Bee Healthy as a spray
Jay T

·
Registered
706 Posts
insted of HBH I always use a smoker. there is nothing worng with what you have done but some things to think about spraying the bees can cause chill brood. It can cause harm to bees . it can cause them to get to wet and die! not using sugar and just plain water is not good. wet bees are not happy. your five stings can be from rough handleing. time of day. frequent inspections or harsment of the hive. Just use the smoker it won't cause lung cancer in bees. Nor start a fire.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I use it myself but not as a drench...I use it in the feed but i always wondered if there was any scientific study that was done cause if there was i never did see anything or i would of liked to read it just out of curiosity!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good Point maybe I will only use the HBH during the hot part of the summer when the fire danger is at its highest.
Thanks for the input I will review my original position
Jay T

·
Registered
507 Posts
JT, so glad you made the distinction between using HBH with syrup or just plain water. I tried it with syrup but not just plain water. I may have to give that a try.

I also appreciate the thought about being cautious so as not to chill the brood.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sounds interesting. I may try that myself (just plain water & HBH).

My Cordovans require nothing more than a warm sunny day, but the feral swarm I just hived is something else. Cranked up the smoker, and they actually attacked me. I didn't even have it *at* the hive. They crossed over 10 feet to buzz me. Don't blame them--I have issues with the smoker myself.

·
Registered
70 Posts
(2nd year beek, 6 hives) I've attempted to move away from smoke except for the most intrusive inspections. I've been using HbH w'syrup. Recognizing chill risk, I just "mist" the top bars as bees come up. It takes very little mist to keep them from flying. I do not mist late in the afternoon when they could end up "going to bed" wet. My goal is to see if I could cut down on any of the facotrs that may push a hive to swarm, and I think excessive smoke or frequent smoke could be one of those factors (you should see some of my year-1 picts, you'd think I see the hivve on fire!).

FWIW --I'm probably in the top half of my hives too often (just gotta take a peek!). But I have had no swarms so far. The next 2 weeks will be the real test, as we are very, very warm. For me its all one big experiment.

·
Registered
706 Posts
one or two puffs of smoke People! your not smoking the honey. just a quick puff at the opening. a puff un der the lid. and a two quick puffs across the top of the frames your good to go for twenty min easy. but please keep using HBH I own stock in it and the price is expencive to use all the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts