Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do honey bees work their way from or toward the hive when foraging? It seems they would go
to the farthest point of their particular foraging field, such as white clover as their
foraging plane would be flat, and work their way back toward the hive as they become heavier
with nectar. I can't find any study to support this.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Something tells me they are opportunistic, if a good field of nectar comes along they will take part. I wonder if the healthier bees go father or the younger bees go father because they haven't learned from the old farts yet.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Thomas Seeley's book "Wisdom of the Hive" is full of foraging studies. The bees will exploit the most "economical" nectar source more aggressively.

The most economical nectar source can be the farthest from the hive.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I would think the most economical is the one that will provide them with the most nectar and pollen, right.
So when the only 2 available resources eucalyptus and mustard are widely available they would forage on
that first though they would have to fly further away from the hive. But if they only forage on a few simple
turnip flowers that will be soon depleted. So I would think the most economical way is to provide them with
the most quantity of available resources. Interesting!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts