Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was asked this question by a neighbor the other day:
"Can you offer any advice on how to prevent Honey bees from gathering (not really swarming) in an area? The outdoor pool, that I'm a member with, seems to attract Honey bees near the railings/steps leading out of the pool. I'm not sure why, buy assume it may be do to the collection of sunscreen and water in those high traffic areas. Sadly the kids don't always see them and end up stepping on them, getting stung and the bees die. So, it's a lose-lose. I'd love to know if there is something we can spray or put down to keep the bees from those areas with out hurting them. Any advice would be appreciated."

Not sure how to answer this. If there was something they could do to keep the water from accumulating, that would help.

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
They could try Honey-B Gone if they are just attracted to the limited areas. It is a repellent made of natural oils including almond oil. Bees are attracted to chlorinated water and I suspect that's why they are there. Surprised that they are not in the pool itself. It may need reapplication if its wet all the time, but certainly worth a try. J

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Other idea is to try to make a water source that is more attractive to the bees while also using Honey-B-Gone to keep them away from the pool. Once a hive is established at a water source they will typically stay there.

·
Registered
507 Posts
If it's a salt water pool, try changing the type of salt used. We have found the differences in the minerals can be more/less attractive to the bees.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's a salt water pool, try changing the type of salt used. We have found the differences in the minerals can be more/less attractive to the bees.
I don't think its a salt water pool; don't know for sure. But, good information to know.

Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
Bee's are attracted to chlorine. Our town had the same problem with a car wash. The detergent they were using was attracting the bee's. They switched detergents, problem solved. The only thing that's going to resolve this is to make your yard more attractive/desirable than theirs. I have a neighbor who drapes a towel over the edge of the pool so the girls can climb out if they can find it. I imagine their landing on the steps and railing because there's just enough water for them not to drown. Pools are a tough one. I can't speak to having so many bee's on the ground, but I've stepped on bee's around my own apiaries when I've been barefoot. Hope things work out for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Honey B Gone works great. But I wouldn't use it where children are gonna be. It smells nasty and you don't want it near your eyes or mouth.

I don't use a smoker. I spray my suit with honey b gone and get after it. I get very few hits on my suit. And I'm working feral/Africanized bees.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts