Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I tried the same experiment last summer with Mann Lake's "Pro Health" supplement. For being a "feeding stimulant" it does not stimulate my bees to consume it. My results were exactly the same as shown in the HbH experiment. Stimulants are no longer on my list when I want the bees to take syrup!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I follow Lauri on here and to me she is the female Michael Palmer of beekeeping . Since I started using her vitamins and electrolytes my bees seem very healthy ..

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
My thoughts on feed stimulants is WHY bother? A healthy colony can take down normal sugar syrup at a crazy high rate why do we need it faster? I have seen my doubles clear 1.5 gallons in a day no sweat. Just get or keep your colonies healthy and no stimulant needed.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,802 Posts
I follow Lauri on here and to me she is the female Michael Palmer of beekeeping . Since I started using her vitamins and electrolytes my bees seem very healthy ..
I mix a 1/2 tsp. Vitamins and Electrolyes Plus with every 20# of sugar, the bees love it. When I ran out of HBH, I found that the bees still took the syrup at the same rate so the HBH did not have a stimulating effect that I could see. It does seem to stimulate robbing however. HBH = FooFoo juice in my book.

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
I did use HBH when I started. Now I don't. Can't find a good reason to do it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I did a similar experiment with organic corn flour and Megabee after seeing no difference between hives I fed pollen sub and hives I fed nothing. Bees totally ignored the Megabee and went for the corn flour. Vitamins, electrolytes also didn't make any differenced on a small scale of 20 hives. Nothing wrong with feeding that stuff if you live in an area with very little forage, but if you don't you probably won't miss it.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Like Ravenseye, when I got back into beekeeping my supplier convinced me to give HBH a try. I've since learned that if my bees are hesitant to take regular sugar syrup (in warm weather) there usually is another underlying problem that needs to be addressed.

This video really speaks for itself. My HBH has gone the way of my Fogger and other misguided purchases.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,802 Posts
I don't know about that.
If you read a lot of posts like I do, you learn to recognize the beeks that have a clue. Among the females, Lauri, Nancy, Deb, Trish, and Ruth always seem to provide good advice. When they post, I pay close attention.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Excellent link. I too stopped using oils a few years ago and find the bees do just fine without them. This is a pretty good experiment that shows how the bees really feel about the stuff. Thank you for the post.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you read a lot of posts like I do, you learn to recognize the beeks that have a clue. Among the females, Lauri, Nancy, Deb, Trish, and Ruth always seem to provide good advice. When they post, I pay close attention.
I agree on all those ladies .. They are beekeepers not beehavers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts