Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to hear about everyone's experiences w/ HBH. I have used it for a couple of years now and I think it has helped. I didn't suffer losses like a lot of other beekeepers here in Alabama in the winter of 2001-2002. I have found that it also does a great job of inhibiting fermentation of the syrup, which means I can mix it and keep it for a while. It does, however, seem to promote robbing if not used throughout the apiary.

------------------
Rob Koss

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had just ordered some today for the first time. It seems a bit pricy, but then again if it does what they claim then I believe it is worth it. (But I do know there is no 100% guarantee of anything - is there?)

------------------

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
I make my own Honey-B-Healthy using the same essential oils used in the product. I used it last Fall for feedings and the bees love it. I (knock on wood) have had no losses so far, and I don't treat the hives with chemicals at all. Maybe just luck, but maybe a good product. I do know that I will continue its use until it proves not to be useful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
you can get lemongrass essential oil from herb store or look up lemongrass essential oil on search engine and herb places will pop up. i like using the lady in town since she buys my honey since i dont use chemicals ex. menthol(natural) and essential oils on my bees. pacholi does wonders folks!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
You can order lemongrass essential oil or any esential oil from LorAnn
Oils 4518 Aurelius Road
Lansing, Michigan 48909
(517) 882-0215
toll free in Michigan 1-800-862-8620
toll free out state 1-800-248-1302
Fax (517)882-0507
Tell them you are a beekeeper and you will receive a discount
They ship around the world and are cheeper than anyone I have found
Clint

------------------
Clinton Bemrose
just South of Lansing Michigan

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi Everyone,
First of all what is HBH and what is it suppose to do to my bees. Does it work? and is it cheaper to make your own and as one mentioned above how and when do you use it? Im really curious now. thanks
Yours in our hobby
Walt

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
HBH is Honey Bee Healthy. It is sold by Bee-Commerce. http://www.bee-commerce.com/ CLick on "Bee Medication" and look for Honey Bee Healthy. It is peperment and lemongrass oil and some lecithin (as an emoulsifier) to add to syrup for "essential oil" treatments. According to reports, the bees really like it and there is a study that says it was helpful against diseases. http://www.bee-commerce.com/download/hbhRetailInfoSheet.pdf

If you make any essential oil treatment yourself, you'll either need the lecithin or mix it with honey first to get the oil to mix with the water in the syrup.

I have not used it yet, but have a bottle on hand that I just bought.

It reported that it is also useful to make a watered down syrup to spray on shaken swarms to calm them or on plastic foundation or comb to improve acceptance. I've even heard of people using the watered down syrup in place of smoke.

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
My recipe for a HBH equivalent: (Mixed into a feeding)
5 cups water
2 1/2 # sugar
15 drops each of spearmint and lemongrass oils
1/8-1/4 tsp of lecithin granules dissolved in very hot water to help emulsify the oils in the feeding.

I'm sure my recipe is not exactly like the real thing, but it is probably pretty close.

Lemongrass oil is easy to find in most health food stores I have been to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts