Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with Honey-B-Healthy? I hear it's a great product and I have a bottle sitting on the shelf, but as I read the directions, I was puzzled by one thing: the label says to remove all honey supers prior to feeding with H-B-H. Why? If I am not puling any honey from a particular hive this year (I have several first-year hives that I want to leave alone), does it matter whether I leave the supers on or not?

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments.

(I have this on another thread -- sorry for cross-posting, but I'm anxious to learn about this supplement before I use it.)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I use it three ways one as a drench to help with Verra. Two I try to always keep a spray bottle around when I open the hives , I spray HBH instead of alot of smoke. I add it to the 1x1 sugar water.

But what do I know this is my first year doing this.

Brooklyn

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I find HBH to be a great brood builder and I feed it only in the spring. They tell you to take the honey supers off because if you were going to eat the honey yourself, you wouldn't want this stuff in it. If you're using it for the girls to make their winter stores, it's no problem to leave it on. You just wouldn't want to mix these supers--if any stores remain in the spring--with the supers you are harvesting for yourself.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Why would you be feeding with the honey supers on? I call that adulterated honey! If you need to be feeding your bees they shouldn't have honey supers on them!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
jd, I always leave a super on my two brood boxes for overwintering. I feed them sugar water if necessary (usually not--they fill it with goldenrod), so that my hives have 2 brood boxes and one super of honey going into the winter.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, folks.... I think it's a bit clearer now -- since I don't plan to feed the supplement until later (Alabama summer-weather usually extends through September or early October), I can safely assume that, whatever honey supers are in place for overwintering can be left "as-is".

The drench idea for varroa is interesting - I may try that on one of the hives as a kind of experiment. I plan to use Api-Life on the others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts