Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For any beginners out there who are having a bad year, don't give up! Last year (my first at beekeeping), both my hives failed and it was a bit of depressing start to the hobby. But I tried again this year, and last Friday we extracted about 30 lbs of honey, with lots more to come. The girls are doing much better this year, and I have to say that it was a huge thrill to taste that first crop of honey.

My mentor kindly helped me harvest my honey with his 20-frame radial extractor, so I feel very spoiled. We have to buy our own extractor and it's not going to be that fancy. :)

Tasting our first honey (thanks, bee-girls!) more than made up for the disappointments and frustrations of last year, so hang in there if you're not having a great season. It's pretty exciting when the girls work their magic and you get to taste your own honey. Worth the wait!

Natalie

·
Registered
170 Posts
thanks caber
thanks for the uplift and incouraging words, i'm a first year and i know not to expect anything, but it does dissapoint when u put alott of work into the bee's. hopeing for better results in the spring if we can make it through the shb this summer.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Glad you had a good year. I increased my hive count from 2 to 6 this year, and if my girls can finish drawing out enough comb to store enough to get them through the winter, I will be content.

NEXT year, I want some honey! :)

Grid.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bradley, I was totally bummed out last fall. The bees in both my hives died in November. My mentor said it was a bad year around here for everyone and not to worry too much. I'm glad I kept on, because we had a great summer this year (for weather/nectar) and it made a world of difference. I learned so much this year! I wasn't expecting any honey so it was a pleasant surprise to get some.

Grid, I think we're going to expand to four hives next year. Beekeeping is addictive! Hope you get lots of the gold stuff next season.

Natalie

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm still waiting for some honey in Michigan. I had a similar start last year, I had a single hive that didn't overwinter, pretty disappointing. This year I started with 4 packages, and got two swarms later in the season. So far 3 of the packages are on their second super, one package has been queenless most of the year but not now its on first super. One of the swarms will just get enough stores for themselves, but my SUPER swarm is now on its third super, they are crazy workers. I also can't wait to extract!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bee Puncher, we live on an 86-acre farms and there is OODLES of goldenrod! We also have a pasture full of Joe Pye weed, which the bees are all over (but I don't know if that makes good nectar!) And lots of sedum, too. The goldenrod seems exceptionally profuse this year. I'm looking forward to seeing/tasting the difference in the next batch of honey.

Natalie (east of you near the Quebec border)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wow is your Joe Pye weed still blooming? The stuff in my area is finished - what a difference an hour and a half makes! Yes it is a great nectar source, like most fall honeys it will have a heavier bodied flavour, but very good in my books. Loosestrife is still going to, if you find honey that is kinda motor oil green you've got it - strong flavour, unique, and great to mix with everything else to add body. I like it in coffee, and know some people who like it a lot, but many don't. Sedum is loved to death by bees, but I've never seen a huge enough area in the ground to know what the honey would be like. Don't know about your corner of eastern Ontario, but around Lanark the bees will not touch any type of aster. I have been looking for eleven years, never seen a bee on it, even when goldenrod is browned off and it's the last plant going. Too bad, there is a lot around and it would make a great top up for winter stores. Good luck and let us know how the harvest turns out!

·
Registered
107 Posts
started this spring with 2 nucs, have 4 honey supers on the one hive (other hive had to be requeened so nothing from them) so are looking forward to getting some honey (didnt think get any as first year with all that comb to draw out)

bees are still all over the golden rod, the forget me knots , sedum not yet

Do you have to get the honey off by Sept 1 to get all those treatments in before it get to cold? the last super we put on (last weekend) was drawn out but no honey yet, dont really know how long we can wait for them to fill it before starting treatment....

great thread:):)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Don't lament the lack of aster honey! In another thread here, they were saying it granulates very qiuckly. :eek: They also said a little of it wille granulate large amounts of other honeys.:cry:
Meridith

·
Registered
70 Posts
Don't lament the lack of aster honey! In another thread here, they were saying it granulates very qiuckly. :eek: They also said a little of it wille granulate large amounts of other honeys.:cry:
Meridith
I've also heard it doesn't taste that great, but I've heard that about honeys I like too. In my area it blooms to late to harvest, I was looking for a free top up of winter stores.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have to get the honey off by Sept 1 to get all those treatments in before it get to cold? the last super we put on (last weekend) was drawn out but no honey yet, dont really know how long we can wait for them to fill it before starting treatment....
Yes, last year I think I did the mite pads on August 31. I'm not sure how carved in stone the date is. When I doubt, I bug my mentor for help. :)

Natalie

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow is your Joe Pye weed still blooming? The stuff in my area is finished - what a difference an hour and a half makes!... Don't know about your corner of eastern Ontario, but around Lanark the bees will not touch any type of aster.
I think I am quite a bit closer to the St. Lawrence River than you, BeePuncher, so the temps are maybe a bit more moderate? Micro-climate? Anyway, it's going strong. I'm going to have a closer look at the wild asters this year to see if the bees bother with them!

Natalie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts