Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My10 frame deep super got really heavy. It is mostly that light clover honey. I plan to extract maybe half of it and the rest leave to the bees.

I am wondering if there still be any good honey flower later in the season, any darker honey type? Also, how to prepare hives to draw that goldenrod honey and how much shall I expact?

·
Registered
249 Posts
In our area I normally expect x1.5-2 times more honey from goldenrod than from summer plants, but I have LOTS of them in the close vicinity of the bee yard. It is however hard to predict the weather, so it may end up being a bust, but unlikely as there seem to be quite a range for goldenrod flow here - mid Aug to end of Sep sometimes. Also most colonies are at max size at this time of year, so it goes much faster than spring/summer flow.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In our area I normally expect x1.5-2 times more honey from goldenrod than from summer plants, but I have LOTS of them in the close vicinity of the bee yard. It is however hard to predict the weather, so it may end up being a bust, but unlikely as there seem to be quite a range for goldenrod flow here - mid Aug to end of Sep sometimes. Also most colonies are at max size at this time of year, so it goes much faster than spring/summer flow.
Is goldenrod honey better than clover honey in your opinion?

·
Registered
2020 6 hives
239 Posts
Spring/clover honey is lighter and you may taste more floral notes. Fall/Goldenrod honey is darker. It's more intensely flavored than Spring honey. My customers tend to prefer 70-80% Spring honey. There is no better, just personal preference. Think Liver and Onions.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Is goldenrod honey better than clover honey in your opinion?
I love it when it is fresh, but it crystallizes and changes very fast, so by Dec/Jan it becomes a solid block. I like the taste, but can only eat so much.... Last spring I fed half of it back to the bees as it is hard to sell solid honey and I refuse to heat it up to make it liquid again...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Think Labatt vs Guinness. They are both beers but the taste is very different. Like Jim mentioned above, most of my customers prefer the lighter honey so the bees get to keep most of the goldenrod for winter.

I have found that the dark goldenrod honey makes a phenomenal base for BBQ sauce that everyone loves.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Thumbs up on fall honey for making bbq sauce. Got a recipe Steve, or are you just adding honey to store bought sauce? J

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
If you find it, post in recipe forum. More people will see it there. At least the people who mess around in the kitchen. J

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would extract all 10 frames now assuming you have 2 deeps with 10 frames remaining. Then place the super back on and let the bees clean it up. I think there is still probably flow in your area so you can leave the super back on. I don't care for Goldenrod so at the end of August I remove all supers and then you should treat and feed.
My10 frame deep super got really heavy. It is mostly that light clover honey. I plan to extract maybe half of it and the rest leave to the bees.

I am wondering if there still be any good honey flower later in the season, any darker honey type? Also, how to prepare hives to draw that goldenrod honey and how much shall I expact?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Goldenrod honey is the main honey I get in SW Ohio ... it's a nice dark amber color and tastes like butterscotch

·
Registered
389 Posts
I noticed last year that my spring honey didn't crystallize, but my fall honey did. And I'm pretty sure goldenrod is my major fall nectar flow here. I could be wrong. I had one person already tell me she liked my honey because it didn't turn solid like the honey from somebody else she got. She was lucky and got my first flow.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I typically use golden rod to bolster winter resources (drawing comb, food stores), but sometimes will harvest it.

Occasionally it’s a good fall crop, and occasionally we go bust on GR, just depends on the rain we get. Typically blooms in October here.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I am in N. IL as well. GR honey is my favorite! Very butterscotchy. . . anyway, around here, it's hit or miss. Some seasons I'll get a super per hive, other seasons, I get hardly anything. I'm located next to about 300 acres of prairie. There's quite a bit of GR around. What I do is try to go into winter with two deeps weighing 130 lbs. Since a full super weighs 50 lbs, my hive needs to weigh 180 lbs with a super on it before I harvest. If I can get the weight up to that, I harvest. If not, I overwinter with the super on.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am in N. IL as well. GR honey is my favorite! Very butterscotchy. . . anyway, around here, it's hit or miss. Some seasons I'll get a super per hive, other seasons, I get hardly anything. I'm located next to about 300 acres of prairie. There's quite a bit of GR around. What I do is try to go into winter with two deeps weighing 130 lbs. Since a full super weighs 50 lbs, my hive needs to weigh 180 lbs with a super on it before I harvest. If I can get the weight up to that, I harvest. If not, I overwinter with the super on.
Well, I am new beekeeper and right by me there are no huge goldenrod crops. However, I can still smell when the bees are start to process goldenrod honey at the end of August. I was wondering what will happen this year, any predictions?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
In my area a drougth is setting in (soil is cracking in places; suburban lawns are turning yellow).
If this continues, there will be no goldenrod flow to speak of.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How is that Goldenrod flow coming along? Do you think it will be a good year for it?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Seen some blooming. It's scattered, not thick stands around here. I am 1 1/2 hour west of Chicago.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Golden rod will depend on weather nectar is like 80% water so if it’s dry no nectar. Last year I had a great flow the year before it rained every other day and the bees didn’t get anything. The honey crystallizes pretty quick I wouldn’t try and sale it but my wife makes and sales elderberry syrup and uses that in it and I’ll turn some into mead. But only if the bees have extra.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
been raining off an on here in mich. I pulled some honey sunday and the taste test did have the butterscotch taste, so we are getting some now here.
Since I extract, the over bearing taste if present is neutralized by the other honey. As well there is a nice 3rd or 4th cutting alfalfa bloom going simultaneously. Was a nice light amber color.

These 4 are the exact same color. the far one is closest to the window, others shaded as they stand behind the others. sorry not the best pic.

output.jpg

GG

1 - 20 of 23 Posts