Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
My wife works in major hospital and deals with cancer patients daily. They are really talking up the use of honey for certain issues and have been doing lots of clinical trials with good results.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Eating a little propalis daily was recently discovered to reduce the size of prostate tumors. If you stop eating the propalis the tumors come back.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am a prostate cancer survivor. I extract propolis and take it regularly. I also eat honey daily. further, I believe there is evidence that bee venom is helpful.

·
Registered
721 Posts
And prolonging life may someday be possible thru bees. I read a study about how bees overwinter. They triple or more their expected life span during the winter season by some mechanism. If we could figure out how they do it and apply it to humans, we may live long and reverse some aging factors.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Cam ... Good Luck and good health to you and hopefully the propolis keeps that evil disease at bay

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Bees live longer in the winter because they are less active, they would live longer in the summer if they didn't wear their wings out and not able to make it back home.After becoming a worker bee they have about 3 weeks life expectancy.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Bees live longer in the winter because they are less active, they would live longer in the summer if they didn't wear their wings out and not able to make it back home.After becoming a worker bee they have about 3 weeks life expectancy.
That is true. But the study I read was more along the way a bee can change its internal body chemistry and the things that are involved in the process of aging. What they were finding was an actual body change in the winter that was not related to just inactivity and wear and tear. That was what the study was about, trying to find the trigger and apply it to other organisms.

If I can find it again, I will post a link.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Last couple years there have been some studies suggesting that the lack of brood pheromone in the hive allows the winter bees to live longer.

That is true. But the study I read was more along the way a bee can change its internal body chemistry and the things that are involved in the process of aging. What they were finding was an actual body change in the winter that was not related to just inactivity and wear and tear. That was what the study was about, trying to find the trigger and apply it to other organisms.

If I can find it again, I will post a link.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am far from an expert on this. However, my understanding is that the extraction process produces a more concentrated product. I also chew a little propolis when I work my hives. I've had no adverse reaction to either. Here is a paper with more than you probably want to know:D
http://www.labsem.enq.ufsc.br/papers/2010_mello_petrus_hubinger.pdf

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I know its dissolve in alcohol so it can be used on cuts, & other wounds. For eating I don"t know if it would make a difference, might make a nice ****tail.

·
Registered
127 Posts
To collect propolis you can buy a propolis trap. It goes on top of the hive. Then when the bees fill it in you take it and put it in the freezer. Then after it is frozen take it out and twist the plastic trap over a news paper. Collect the propolis and put it in a jar.

Good luck. Pollen is also very good for just about everything also. I put it in a smoothy every morning.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To collect propolis you can buy a propolis trap. It goes on top of the hive. Then when the bees fill it in you take it and put it in the freezer. Then after it is frozen take it out and twist the plastic trap over a news paper. Collect the propolis and put it in a jar.
I am going to try some window screen on top of a couple of heavy propolis hives. Then put it in the freezer for a while and twist.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts