Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine, a partner actually, devised the program that used personal computers worldwide in their spare time to comb through data from radio telescopes looking for signals from intelligent life "Out There". SETI.

Somehow, we are looking beyond and expect something transcendental. How about the intelligent life here on Planet Earth right here right now?

I spend a lot of time watching bees. (In interest of full disclosure I work for my bees not vice versa).

While many were watching TV tonight, I just spent an hour watching some bees caring for queens in a bulk box. They had been short of feed it seems, but we fed them, then watched. It was a really, really instructive.

We don't need to look in outer space for intelligence. We're lucky the local intelligence is benevolent -- or unaware of us.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I hear you, this is the main reason I keep bees, they never cease to amaze me. I literally could sit and watch them all day long and never get tired of it.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
What a refreshing point of view. Watching the bees (or working for them!), is almost humbling and I think that we could all use that once in a while. I often feel small, but not insignificant, around them. Thanks for posting this. It's nice to know that others feel the same. I'll bet lots of beekeepers would agree with this. Oh...and nothing on television comes close to that experience!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Isn't that the truth! Even non-sentient beings are fascinating... for instance, read how soybeans attract or repel bees in the new issue of the American Bee Journal by the use of odors, and whether they're ready to be pollinated or not. It is simply amazing how this world is put together.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I got a chance today to let an 12 year old cousin open up a hive and look into it.He was fascinated by what the bees were doing and had a bunch of questions.He had come over to hang with my teenage son and play video games but when the sun broke through for a minute I ask if he wanted to see my bees.We went up to watch the foragers return and before you know it we had the top off and a couple of frames pulled out,no veils,no gloves.It was really cool to watch as he realized there are more interesting things in life that you can focus on.

·
Banned
840 Posts
rights are different from ability.

We have the ability to do something, so we do it.

All too often, we don't stop to ask the question "Should we do it?"

or we lament it after it is too late.

Many others just take it as a given that because they are human beings, it is implicit that they should do whatever they desire, **** the consequences or others perceptions.

To see ourselves as one of many living creatures in this world and the respectful humility that comes with that is far too often seen as a 'weakness' or un necessary because humans are the chosen ones, the top of the food chain, whatever.

I, like you, am thrilled every time I watch the bees and observe how fastidious and energetically they fulfill their daily tasks.

Big Bear

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Even Stephen Hawking has his doubts about our attempts to make contact with extra-terrestrial life: "If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans."

Please tell your colleague that I think his work with distributed computing is very worthwhile. I am one of the many who run SETI on several computers along with other projects such as a malaria control program and climate prediction modeling. (My contribution puts me in the top 4% of participants worldwide, just to brag a little.)

I don't think I'm going to stop running SETI. Intelligence, technology and power doesn't have to be accompanied by the need to conquer and dominate or destroy. Perhaps that is just a human invention. Aliens who come to our planet may help us or kill us. Left to our own devices, we are killing ourselves anyway. It's a craps shoot.

In the meantime, we can focus on the little creatures that are in our charge that give us much pleasure and sweetness.

Wayne

1 - 8 of 8 Posts