Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a missionary friend who is looking to start a sustainable beekeeping business in Honduras to help with support for an orphanage.

I am looking for someone with information on honey production in Honduras. What type of floral sources are there and when do they bloom or yield honey? What kind of potential for production? What areas of the country are good for honey production, or pollination opportunities.

I appreciate any help anyone can provide. Again, this is a charitable organization looking to provide assistance for citizens of the local Honduras community thru jobs and the orphanage to help needy orphans.

Thank you.

Kirk Stoller
e-mail: [email protected]

·
Banned
7,861 Posts
While I don't know much about Honduras' ecological diversity and environment, I am more concern about the Africanized honey bees thru an experiment gone wrong. You tube has a good documentary about the AHB for this story. I would imagine that you have to requeen and mark them often. At the same time has to set up drone saturation zone to keep the aggressive bees down to a minimum if you do open mating. I wonder if the Africanized drones are stronger and faster than the EHB when competing at mating time. The beekeeper has to wear a good suit in case the hive is taken over by the AHB. Being so aggressive they do take over hives. Then how can your missionary friend tell if they are swarming or being taken over? All the bees almost look identical. It is not going to be an easy project unless you can ship them queens when needed. Or do artificial insemination. What is the shipping cost to Honduras?
Are there any local beekeeper doing what you are planning to do there? Talking to them might help if you can find any.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
There's a beekeeper from Honduras here on Beesource, named Tomas.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/member.php?63741-Tomas

If I'm remembering correctly, he acquires bees by trapping swarms, and he traps a lot of them. He uses top bar hives, which make a lot of sense in his situation, I think. If you look at the threads he's posted in, you should get a lot of info on beekeeping in Honduras, and my impression is that he'd be willing to talk to you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to each one of you for your help! Very good input, and feel free to give more if it comes to you! I had seen Tomas reply to a post from a few years ago. Good input on top bar hives, had not thought about that. On the afracanized bees, that is what they would be working with I believe. I understand most of the bees on the mainland are Afracanized.

Thank you again, I will use your valuable input and welcome any other thoughts. Thanks for the contacts, that is very helpful!

Kirk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts