Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in what recipes y’all have for Homemade Honey B Well. Planning on cooking 5 gallons of sugar water today. This is my first season and haven’t done enough research on this. My wife has an abundance of essential oils. Just curious what y’all have done?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Sugar water.... that's it. Don't add any essential oils. There is lots of research to show detrimental effects on brood. Just give them 2 parts sugar to 1 part water.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Ya, just do the sugar. Add a couple glugs (maybe a 1/4 cup) of apple cider vinegar to retard spoilage if your not going to use it right away.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
The smells can lead to robbing. Essential oils get more thumbs down than thumbs up. Using essential oils is mostly for the benefit of the people promoting it!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm. Well after research and y’all comments I may just go without. Didn’t realize the amount of sugar needed to buy.

·
Super Moderator
11,152 Posts
Unless you have enough hives to distribute 5 gallons of syrup immediately, I suggest just mixing up what you can use in a day or two. And to simplify the process, there isn't a need to actually cook it. Just use hot water straight from the tap. If not all the sugar dissolves, just adjust your sugar : water ratio (use say, 5:3 instead of 2:1, etc) until the sugar does dissolve. The exact ratio is not critical.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unless you have enough hives to distribute 5 gallons of syrup immediately, I suggest just mixing up what you can use in a day or two. And to simplify the process, there isn't a need to actually cook it. Just use hot water straight from the tap. If not all the sugar dissolves, just adjust your sugar : water ratio (use say, 5:3 instead of 2:1, etc) until the sugar does dissolve. The exact ratio is not critical.
I am unable to check my hives as frequently as some. I have some Mann Lake top feeders that hold 2.5 G.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts