Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
I decided to try my hand at a homemade PVC hive stand. It is made from 2" PVC.

The legs go into tuna cans. Liquid soap goes into the tuna cans. To keep ants out.

The legs were cut to 14". With the three way part, it is about 18in tall.

So is this a good idea, or a terrible idea? I'm wondering how strong it is. I would have made a four corner table, except they don't sell a 3 way joint that can be used in corners at home depot (or anywhere?).
http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b477/bee_art/IMG00466.jpg

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b477/bee_art/IMG00468.jpg

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
i would make sure you bury those legs a bit imho. It looks good, but PCV is light and slippery against wood. A heavy wind may even take the hive off. You could cut a board and screw it on each side of the hive, kind like stops....

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
733 Posts
The fitting you are looing for is a side outlet 90*

Here is a link to it

http://www.spearsmfg.com/prod_dimensions_spec/40-4-0210_0210_web.pdf

I think it will be a little bit wobbly. Try sitting on it and wiggling around just a little. Try to imagine your hive in the 200 pound range with some wind gust blowing on it or working the hive and moving it around. Would be a sad day to come out and see your new hive laying on the ground.

Looks good and hope it works out.

Just my thoughts

G3

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
A suggestion and do not be affended.
You can use a 3/4" or 1" floor flange, 12" long threaded length of pipe, i/4" x ? theaded bolts.
I have put the hives up on old pallets using the above method.
easy to assemble and easy to brake dow,
The draw back is the initial cost of the floor flanges.
But, you will bet the stability and ant control done.
Good luck.
Ernie

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the suggestion, I may try that. I was in the fencing section, looking at the tubes they use for chain link fences. So this kind of goes along with what you are saying.

I think something to worry about with the PVC is the lack of friction, as mentioned above, and also the lack of contacting surface. Maybe I will glue some grit onto the lips of those tubes.

But in the meantime, I'm going to try and use my PVC invention. At least until I get something better. Carpenter ants were having a party in my hive.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Schedule 40 PVC in electrical department will be more rigid. Plastic does not last as long with sun exposure no matter what they put for UV protection, paint is a definite plus. It will never rot anyway. You could even keep something inside the pipe but I don't know what. Perhaps electronics for a hive webcam?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A suggestion and do not be affended.
You can use a 3/4" or 1" floor flange, 12" long threaded length of pipe, i/4" x ? theaded bolts.
I have put the hives up on old pallets using the above method.
easy to assemble and easy to brake dow,
The draw back is the initial cost of the floor flanges.
But, you will bet the stability and ant control done.
Good luck.
Ernie
Threaded pipe and floor flanges are actually quite expensive. At Lowe's anyway. Just the pipe and flanges would probably run $50.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Locally, we have a commercial plastic pipe supplier that supplies 2" furniture grade PVC.
I bought some of their 2" PVC side outlet T's for a project two years ago.

Ernie

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been to both Home Depot and Lowe's and can't find side-outlet thingies in 2" PVC. Maybe a plumbing specialty store would have them.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The joint I bought was $1.50 per. So the side-outlet T at that price would start to make this cost prohibitive.

I do like the concrete idea, however. I might try that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts