Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a pic of a homemade nuc cover using flashing material that I bought at Home Depot.

I sprayed 3-M adhesive onto the wooden cover and pressed it onto the flashing. Then I scored the flashing with a cutter along the edges to make the bends easier. I believe that some aggressive 2-sided tape would do a better job because the adhesive lets go... But it doesn't let go until the opposite bend is being made.

Larger photo: http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj305/js06807/5-Frame Nuc Cover/IMG_8087.jpg

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I do the same thing bee, i just use liquid nails to hold mine in place.. and then squeegie the rest out. It creates a vacuum unger the metal so I can bend it easily and work it with a hammer. I use bronze nails too....no rust here...LOL

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I prefer the non-hammered version of my nuc cover.

#1 was "hammered" and didn't deserve a photo.

And if we're getting down to brass tacks then yes, brass/bronze doesn't oxidize in the same manner as my quick to use staples.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Beecurious,

That looks real nice!

What is the flashing material made out of, aluminum? And, does the material come wide enough to do a full size hive outer cover?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is the flashing material made out of, aluminum? And, does the material come wide enough to do a full size hive outer cover?
Thanks Tom,

I bought a small roll of 14" wide flashing that I believe will do 5 or 6 nuc covers. HD had longer rolls, but I didn't see anything wider.

Next time I'll contact a siding contractor for some aluminum...

·
Registered
249 Posts
BeeCurious,

I believe that HD and Lowes carry flashing material that is aluminum.

Is the flashing you used some kind of plastic?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Tom, you can buy a 20" x 50' roll at lowes for about 45.00, its enough to make about 25 full size tops, works well, Ive made a lot of them. The 20" roll is just the right width leaving a 3/4" hang over on each side.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mike,

Thank you so much for this information!

I actually went to a local heating and cooling business to inquire about building me (4) galvanized covers. He quoted me a price of $15 each. I knew then, that I would have to find a way to make my own.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts