Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Home Depot buckets come with cheap, flimsy, plastic handles that break soon after purchase. The wire then cuts your hand when carrying something. This is how I fixed the problem.

The first decision is the diameter of the desired handle. You can use an old broom/mop handle or go to Home Depot and get wood dowels up to 1.25” in diameter.

Set up the table saw and cut the dowel in half lengthwise. Then set the blade to 3/32” high and set the fence so the blade is slightly offset from the dowel center line. The desire is to plow a 3/32” groove two blade thicknesses wide down the centerline of each dowel half. If you put the two halves back together you have a 48” dowel with a hole all the way down the center. Measure the wire handle then cut the dowel to lengths. I think I cut mine 3.5” long.

Apply Titebond III to the dowel halves. Wrap them around the wire handle and clamp. The oversized handles are a lot easier on the hands.

·
Super Moderator
11,185 Posts
I don't have any HD buckets. But many of the buckets that I acquire have wire bails that are detachable if you twist one end of the wire the right way with a pair of visegrips. Then I cut about a 4" section of 'dead' garden hose and slip the wire bail thru the hose section. Use the visegrips to put the handle back in the bucket.

Most buckets I get have a sharp bent end to the wire that retains it in the bucket, and the visegrips work. Some buckets have a mushroomed end to the wire that won't come out without damaging the bucket. Toe's solution should work well for non-removable handles.

·
Registered
396 Posts
A friend of mine, who's a professional painter, does things like that but slightly differently. Saw the dowels halfway through, then cut to length. Secure them in a drill-press (she's made a little jig with a hole in it ...) and drill through the center, perhaps slightly offset.

These handles simply drop over the wire bucket-handles in place of the cheap plastic ones. Yeah, they can fall off, but if you drill that hole slightly offset so that the sawed notch plus the drill-hole makes a slight notch for the wire to fall into, they tend to stay in place. If not, just wrap 'em in painter's masking tape. She made the first ones from an old broom-handle.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
For me, the answer is to use a piece of old garden hose, similar to Rader Sidetrack. But I simply cut the old hose piece, so it's a spiral (looks like a spring), then wrap it around the carrying/handle area of the wire bale, then wrap it firmly with vinyl tape. The tape compresses the hose piece, so it conforms more closely to the handle area of the bale, and stays put. This gives me a good gripping diameter and protects my delicate flesh from carrying heavy buckets by just the wire.

I've also discovered, that if I promptly wrap the original plastic handle grips with the vinyl tape, similar to the above description, they will also last much longer, than otherwise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts