Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the easiest way, and effective, to patch holes in the smoker bellows. I have a couple that are pretty useless at this time.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
FlexTape.....you can build a boat out of it, you should be able to patch a bellows on smoker. :D

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,759 Posts
there was a product that I used when Hiking the trails called NU Skin, or another Mole Skin, seemed to stick well and also was flexible.

there is "flex tape"

I have seen replacement bellows but maybe a new one is similar in price.

GG

·
Registered
631 Posts
I am in the duct tape camp.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,887 Posts
Did your smoker dry rot from lack of use? I would say duct tape tape until you decide to shell out a few dollars for a replacement bellows. They are not expensive. Actually Don, I am is the same boat. My bellows has a small tear in it and I am delaying the purchase of a new Dadant smoker until the wife is employed again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I removed the leather from the bellows, went to a leather store and purchased the cheapest piece of scrap I could find that fit the bellows, and traced and cut a new one. It works great.

I also made a metal clip to keep the bellows mostly squeezed shut so it didn't put as much pressure on the leather when sitting unused, which should increase the life of the leather going forward.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,759 Posts
I see a few manufacturers are now using rubber for the bellows instead of leather. No idea whether it's any better. They say it is - but then they would, wouldn't they ?
LJ
LJ
If rubber works then an old inner tube would work as well tube patches.....

seems the options may be several here.

GG

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I bought one a couple years ago. It didn't last a season. I also made a point to keep it out of the sun.

Alex

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
would any of the "boot grease " type salves work to keep it soft?

GG
Sorry, I missed your post.

I don't know if that would slow down the process or not.
My tin of Leathe-R-Seal does not warn against using it on rubber.

Alex

1 - 17 of 17 Posts