Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some soda bottles that are 3 liters and the bottle caps are standard plastic screw on. I have decided these will make good syrup bottles for nukes but am not sure how many holes or even size of holes I should put in the lids a little help would be appreciated on this subject.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
1/16" to 3/32" holes work well, three of them in the lid. I've use plastic water bottles for feeders here myself, your soda bottles should work fine. Put an empty box with lid on over the bottles to keep the sun from hitting them, which would cause the syrup to pressurize and get squirted into the hive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When using the large soda bottles fill only half full because it will be top heavy plus by filling halfway there is room for air pressure changes. I use 1/16 drill bit for my holes, 3 of them.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I often use qt Gatoraid bottles for feeders. I like their size :) And they seal very well.

I've been doing a test in my shop w/ plain water in GA bottles.
A full bottle will NOT lose water for SEVERAL months!
Try it, you'll be suprised :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I find that the easiest way to put holes in the lid of anything I'm using as a feeder (even metal lids) is to shoot several staples in from a staple gun from the outside-side of the lid then remove the staples. Quick, easy, and the hole size seems to work well for letting them get their tongues in. Want a few holes? Shoot a few staples. Want a lot of holes? Shoot a lot of staples.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
... I've been doing a test in my shop w/ plain water in GA [Gatorade] bottles.
A full bottle will NOT lose water for SEVERAL months!...
That was my experience in a test I performed a few years ago with several mayonnaise and dill pickle jars fully filled (almost) with tap water. Only I drilled 25 plus or minus holes in the lid, and inverted jar and all on my back porch railing in the Summer Sun. After 3 months I could not tell that I had lost one drop of water. Remember beekeeping is local, your results may vary depending on climate or other factors. But do try it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts