Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for information on what hole size will allow bees to pass freely (including drones and bees carrying pollen) but exclude mice.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
note he said hardware cloth as putting a 3/8 inch hole for bees means a mouse will chew it up to whatever suits them.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I like the 1/2 hardware cloth also. I use one screw in the bottom corner -so that I can swivel the hardware cloth "up" to totally open the entrance.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I would suggest a piece of 1/2 mesh screen or metal with multiple holes of that size. A single hole is more prone to becoming plugged by the normal accumulation of dead bees.

Especially so if placed at the very bottom of the hives. A more elevated location seems to come well recommended.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try something like this out of PEX tubing. I had a friend in New York adapt it to 1/2" id copper, I was concerned with copper transferring cold air into the hive in the winter time.

Easier for the girls to protect, 3 to 4 girls to protect each tube, saw less SHB in boxes we had these on so more experimenting in 2019 with that.

5/8" hole in a 3/4" solid entrance reducer and some wood glue to assist holding them in place. we made them each 2" long.

·
Registered
70 Posts
drm1963
I can see where the tubes would help with the SHB issues because of them having trouble crawling over the edge of the tube but did you see any issues with the bees having trouble getting the dead bees that naturally die in the hive. I think I will try that on a couple of my hives.
Ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts