Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched a little, and I think I have the right size, but . . . What is the standard hole saw size used to make the mason jar lid hole for a feeder?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Not sure, but i remember using a boring bar to get it just right. Then it got wet and that changed everything. 3&3/8 or 2&3/4, depending on which size, and that's measuring with a tape measure. How's that fit with what you found?

·
Registered
458 Posts
2-13/16" dia. Use a fly cutter to bore through 3/4" stock, dado out the tunnel, place thin wood or Luawnn plywood on bottom and cut mouth to fit hive opening. Not the best type of feeder. All the diferent types feeders have good and bad points. I like the plastic with ladder rack to access the feed, that replace two removed frames while feeding.
Walt

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
sky,
it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. if you want the jar to sit above the rim of the hole, then 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 will work. If you want the jar's lid to fit down into the hole, 2 3/4 will be tight, maybe too tight.

Waya

·
Registered
528 Posts
[2 3/4 will be tight, maybe too tight.]

I like them this size, the jar sits low enough to be supported by the hole (try one you'll understand). Smaller and the jar isn't supported by anything but the ring itself (not very stable especially on jars larger than a quart).

I try laun on the bottom, I switched to sheet steel because I got a tighter fit (laun cause the box to raise and caused all sorts of gaps with bees using them as entrances everywhere.

Word of advice - build/use a vise when drilling the hole, else everything flies around and you might break a wrist.

[Not the best type of feeder]
Depends on your goals, depends on the hive.
I have some hives that like the boardman better than an other style, can anyone argue with that?
I feed mine through the back, that also helps with the robbing complaints.

I submitted a simular plan on Tim Arheits website:
http://www.honeyrunapiaries.com/plans/boardman_feeder.pdf

good luck,

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info and advice. 2 3/4 is what I was thinking and will be the right size for this project!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts