Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to try the Hogg Half Comb super to produce comb honey. I run all 2 deep colonies but in order to capture a good nectar flow, I was considering using only 1 deep before placing the Hogg super on. If I use 1 deep I think I will need to use queen excluder which I don't favor. Does anyone have experience with this Hogg system and 1 or 2 deeps?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
If you do use a queen excluder and place the empty super on top, the bees can be very reluctant to move up into the honey super. They almost need a reason to squeeze through the excluder to go into the empty super. Since you have to deeps I would place all of the brood and queen in the bottom deep, next the queen excluder, next your honey super then the other deep with honey in it. If you leave brood in the upper deep they may try making a queen cell in it.

Reactions: massbee

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
I did use the Hogg Half Comb system one year, back in the 90's. I waited for the main flow to come, and shook the bees into a box of all foundation frames, with the queen in a cage with marshmellow in the candy tube, then put on excluder and then put on the Hogg super. That setup forced the bees to start drawing comb right away and it worked great for me back then.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
I have unsold crystalized comb honey sitting around unsold. Nobody knows what it is. Plan on developing a market if your area is like mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.