Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering wild hog hunting and wondered if anyone can hook me up or steer me in the right direction for a reasonable cost and fun hunt for sometime next year. I'd prefer someplace closer to home, like Oklahoma maybe. In Kansas, we can't hunt wild hogs any more - no season, limits, etc. and there's not that many feral hogs out there except in a few select areas. It used to be fun, now it's simply illegal.

I heard of a place in Northern Tx. that guides hog hunts and their internet story goes something like "we don't sell hunts, we sell adrenaline". They take you out with a pack of dogs, the dogs corner it and you kill the hog with a knife. I'm thinking maybe I'd prefer throwing hot lead kisses from a rifle instead of stabbing cold steel into an angry hog. It just sounds safer for both of us! Any suggestions to check into? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I suggest doing some google searches. Many area's have farmers that just want the hogs gone and will allow you to hunt for free because you can't sell hog hunts without a guide license. Searching Craig's List might find you some of them. Do you have access to some good whitetail hunting by you? I came across a forum somewhere about doing hunt swap's.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I know its too far but we have oodles of those darn pigs running around down here in FL. What a pest they have become.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
When I go to FL to help another beek with his bees and when I had mine down there I found a man that would take me hog hunting free of charge. He even supplied the gun and bullets.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
If driving to Texas isn't to far for ya. I will take you for free.

No closed season or limit restrictions here.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If driving to Texas isn't to far for ya. I will take you for free.

No closed season or limit restrictions here.
Now, why didn't I think you would have a connection with wild hogs? We may have to talk! Don't suppose Chuck will show, do you? My Dad was one huge fan of Walker Texas Ranger.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I may have to find a way to get to Texas too, I lived in FL for most of my life and really miss the hog hunting!

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
We're going out Friday to put out a feeder and a cheap little stand. At my step dads land. (discussed in another thread) I will take some pics. Lots of hogs seen in the area.

Just fyi:

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. This was just to prove that the good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
Just move to Texas. Feral hogs are plentiful, and you can usually find someone to let you get rid of their "problem" for free.;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
I went last Feb. to a place called the Boars Den in Archer City Tx. Nice people had a blast. Put the smack down on three boars. ;)

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Hambone,
Are you having any success? Your bait has been out for 5 days now. I want to see a couple of those hanging in you BUD smoker(not the green bud either). BUD-Big Ugly Drum

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Haven’t been back to check yet. I’m sure they are hitting it everyday though. Its right across the road from my bee yard, so I will check it when I go out to check my bees.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hambone ever had any hogs get into your hives? We have that problem down here everyonce in a while.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I have not. A good outfielder could almost throw a ball from my hives to the creek some hogs run. But I have not seen them on my place. There are a few beaten down paths on my place that something is running on, but I think there yotes.

A pic of a 300lb boar was taken right across the road from my hives. Taken a few weeks ago at my step brothers house. In his front yard when he went out one morning. (It's one of the hogs that run the creek)

Let me see if I can get the pic.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Got it. Now that I see it again it looks like a pregnant sow. This was taken about a month ago. This sow was about 20 yards off of a busy 2 lane highway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts