Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have 4 hives, I use single 10 frame brood boxes. All 4 hives came out of winter and are doing fantastic. I am wanting to step up my game and make 5 nucs to sell for next year. I would apreciate any advice or tips anyone would like to share and could give me on my current plan.

I am working with my local facebook beekeeping group to identify what the latest time of the year I could do a split is. I will have 5 nucs with migratory covers with two boxes each. I will cutout holes in each lid to fit one gallon glass jar feeders (6 bucks each on walmart.com). when it is time to split I will remove supers and do flyback style splits on my 4 hives and feed all 9 hives heavily. for winter I will have the nucs strapped down and lined up against eachother flush. I will have 10 frame and 5 frame candy boards for all the hives.

what is the best way to close up the hole in the migratory cover for winter? Any fatal flaws in my plans? thanks for your time!

·
Registered
509 Posts
I am south of you about 2 hrs. I have made walk away fall splits as late as middle September.

I'd think you could make 5 nucs to sell this year, if you wanted.

Problem with doing a fly back style split just after pulling supers is locating the queen in a very populous, upset, and defensive hive.

I have used 2 layers of duct tape to close up a 1" hole in a cover. Likely not optimum, but it worked.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the tips! my queens are marked and I only have 10 frames to search for her on so hopefully I won't have too much trouble!

·
Registered
915 Posts
thank you for the tips! my queens are marked and I only have 10 frames to search for her on so hopefully I won't have too much trouble!
You wouldn't right now, but what Bd is referring to is after you remove supers on a huge hive (later in the summer) 50-60K bees will be in your one box, then it may be a little different deal.

I agree with Bd though, you could have twelve or more hives going into winter if you just wanted to make bees and didn't care about honey (LOTS of work and LOTS of feeding). A couple years ago I came out of winter with 4 hives, made 22 and sold 12 nucs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aahh yea that makes sence! maybe it would be a good idea to put an escape board onto the supers at the same time I do the split.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts