Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been interested in a couple of threads that are going at the moment and one thing thats starting to really stick out is the animosity towards commercial beekeepers.
It seems Commercial beekeepers are known as "truckers"
They "work their bees into the ground"
they have "sickly dependant bees"
they are "quite happy to produce and sell their contaminated hive products"
they are "in it for the money"
the "world dosn't need their bees to keep the food supply going"
their "dependant drones mate with our resistant queens"
their "dependant bees are taking over the wild gene pool"

Next thing you know all the big beekeepers will grow hair on the palms of their hands and suck the blood of the beautiful innocent non commercial folk!

kiwi:)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well..... I hope I never give that impression. I like reading their post and have gained much from them. I personally will support Bee Keeping in general. Heck, I would like to get to the small commercial level some day myself.

It is a tough world out there and they are trying to keep alive as well.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I hav ebeen reading and listening as well. There is a ton of information to be learned, problem seems to me is that everyone has stopped respecting the right of each persons thinking...Thats what makes us individuals and i reckon I could throw in some rather large words, but i digress....to me, there are several discussions in one. Noone knows it all, even though some think they do!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DEvdog,
I'm with you on that.
There is so much to learn from all types of beekeepers.
It's one of the things I really love about beekeeping you learn so much from others and every year and season is different from the one before.
It's a shame that we can't respect each others opinions and ways of doing things.
It's good to question, but when it gets personal it's no good for anyone.
We have changed a number of things in our own operation recently that we scoffed at previously.
kiwi

·
Registered
954 Posts
Kiwi

There are many beeks on this forum. Most are not commercial.

Some speak from ignorance. Some shoot from the hip. Some have an agenda.

Many have experience. Many have knowledge. Most wish to learn.

The flamers never last long.

Jack

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Yo kiwi,
How many different posters made the comments you referred to in your initial post? I'm thinkin' the vast majority came from one. If so, they don't represent the opinions of anyone but that single poster. Yeah, there is some apparent animosity there....but it isn't directed exclusively to the commercial beeks.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Us hobbyists have the luxury of a longterm outlook.

If our bees fail this year, and next year, and the year after--even ten years straight. We are ok. We can chalk it up to a learning experience. We can roll the dice on no treatment, no feeding, etc.

For people that rely on bees to put food on the table, they don't have that luxury, and thus there will always be an emphasis on keeping the business alive. It's just like a GM in the NFL. He can't afford to build the team that will be on the field 5 years from now. He needs to build the team that will be on the field this season. And the next. Or he will lose his job.

I think this explains some of the differences in attitude.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Kiwibee, most of us honor and respect the commercial beeks. I regularly read their section, to learn what I can from them. Regarding the animosity toward them, you'll learn to consider the source. As others have observed, it's only a handful who have that attitude...if that many.
Regards,
Steven

1 - 9 of 9 Posts