Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Where ever you can hang her is fine. If you are using a TBH I'd only put five bars in to get them started. Too much space and they'll be slow to build.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do I have to hang her between bars? Can't I just lay her in the bottom? They should release her before the comb gets down to the cage right? If you hang your queen won't it mess up their comb a bit? And bad comb begets bad comb.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Depends on how quick they release her. You can lay her in the bottom but the bees tend to cluster at the top. As long as there are bees on the cage when you put her in the bottom you'd be okay. I hang them from the top so I only have to remove one bar to retrieve the cage. If you hang her from the top there won't be that much comb built yet if any to cut off or correct. Get used to correcting combs cause they may not start out perfectly straight to begin with. You can sqeeze the cage between a couple bars with the screen down as long as the candy isn't mushy or to soft. What I mean about screen down is have the cage lying flat with the screen facing down into the hive. the most important thing is the queen is released. If you set her in the bottom of the hive make sure the screen faces up. I know someone that bands the cage to a stick that is about 5 inches long. He said he uses a coat hanger that he bends into a T, he makes a T with the stick also so he can retrieve the cage with minimal entrusion. What ever is easiest for you is the best.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
There are a lot of different ways of straightening out comb it depends on the type of top bars you're using. I build all of my top bars with a 1/4 x 1/4 guide on them which allows my to use just about any method for straightening it out. I usually just pinch it back into place but I keep a close eye on them. Using masking tape works great if you cut the comb or the comb has fallen. Check out the top bar forum there's a lot of different ways and pick one that seems easiest, I think the tape is the easiest myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts