Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next door neighbor had some bees living in his chimney. Not in the main flue,but in some kind of a blind side flue opening at the roof that he covered using an 8 inch by 8 inch piece of plywood. He had nailed a 24 inch piece of 4x6 to the plywood for weight, then inserted the 4x6 into the hole which added weight to the cover. He did this to keep water out of the hole.

Bees then discovered an opening and took up residence in there. We pulled the cap off the opening (some propolis was gluing it down), and the 4x6 was covered with comb and bees, and there were several lobes of comb hanging from the bottom of the plywood too. Not being prepared any other way, we put he whole mess into a plastic garbage can and covered it at 5 pm today. I put a deep with ten frames of un-drawn plastic foundation on the chimney hoping to catch the bees that were returning but could not get into the flue because we plugged it.

I'd like to hive this thing and put it next door with my other two hives but how to do it?

Steve

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You know all that mess you put in the plastic garbage can??? By any chance was there any brood comb or see any eggs??? If so i would of put that in the 10 frame box! If you dont have that it will be hard!..You can try LGO inside the 10 frame box as a 2nd resort! Give them a reason to go in the box! Good Luck!

That type of situation would of been best by doing a trap out!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would take all that mess that is in the garbage can and put it all in a empty deep on a bottom board and then place a deep with empty drawm comb over it and then a feeder. Hopefully if the queen is still alive she will move up there and start laying eggs. Any brood that was in that comb is probably dead by now so no use in rubber banding them into empty frames.

It would be best to wait until dusk or dark and move the colony at least two miles away so they reorient and don't retuern to the chimney.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts