Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so some back ground, I am a South Dakota beekeeper that winters bees in east Texas and then moves my best hives, all singles, to the almonds at the end of January for almond pollination. I don't go and send then to beekeepers/brokers to place them in and take them out. I send them to two different guys that I both know and trust. Now I don't know lots of details of where they go besides just a general area. So on Monday night one of them called me to let me know that the night before 248 hives had been stolen from the Bakersfield area. A reporter from the Bakersfield Californian called me yesterday and was asking a few questions. He asked if I was offering any sort of reward. I hadn't thought of that. I guess a few of the bee organizations offer rewards on bee thefts totaling 15000 dollars. I will match that amount. Most of my hives are branded with my last name, Strehlow. They are painted various colors and all newer boxes are either Dadant or Mann Lake cut. My lids are all used symons steel-ply with a bee space. No cleats on ends of them or tops. All of my pallets are 4 way W clip pallets with small entrances of about 3 inches. I have never sold any equipment with my branded name. I am sure this will go no where, but wanted to get the word out. Thanks, Andy Strehlow

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Thats a good description, but a picture might help us lock in on them.

The theft this year seems way more excessive than normal. Time to consider a concealed weapon permit. Seriously.

I will keep an eye out and know others will too. No real beekeeper would want a reward , but hopefully that will help get your hives back.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Please post a picture. I see many of the Bakersfield-area hives.
Can you get CalTrans to look at the Traffic Cams on I-5 for a truck ID. The location Highway 46 (within 2 miles of I-5) makes me think that someone loaded a truck and drove north almost immediately. I-5 is heavily monitored with traffic-cam's so an image might be available.
News article on the theft ---
http://www.bakersfieldcalifornian.com/local/x1922461273/More-bee-theft-reported-in-Kern

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Talk with friend this morning, he looked at some bees for sale & they wanted $50 a box, he didn't bite because he thought they were stolen.I will find out more info BB.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have a history of dealing with criminal investigations and I know that out of state victims usually get far less attention than homeboys do. I think the beekeeping community can help you most by some of the local beeks in the area of the theft making some calls to the authorities, and keeping pressure on them, because theirs' may be next. You may want to look at hiring a local P.I. not to do a total investigation but to simply get the word from the street, from his usual snitches, every good P.I. has a network or they couldn't stay in business. Instead of offering a blanket reward, tell your P.I. you will pay for information that leads to an arrest, this gives him some leverage when dealing with his snitches. A lot of times the culprit is the person you would have thought would never steal from you. Most likely way more information than you want. Good luck with finding them.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes have plenty of grey and light blue boxes. The grey boxes don't have my brand but the blue ones do. The detective said they used a trailer with ramps as opposed to a tilt trailer. He said 48 had been stolen just 6 miles up the road a few days earlier. I have never posted pictures on here but will try to figure it out. Thanks for the help guys!!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
BB, the boxes that were "for sale" didn't have bb, that's why the red flag went out. These btw were around the Modesto area. Give me a call if I can help, 916-xxxxxx

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is basically what they will look like almost all of the new boxes will have Strehlow burned into one or both ends. Again a huge thanks to everyone. Andy

·
Registered
242 Posts
No info, but good luck and keep the word out. I had 3 stolen in November and another had 2. I know that's nothing like this. But the other guy got some info from someone, and I got them back the end of January. I didn't ever expect to see them again. Good Luck, at least they were branded they will show up sooner or later.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sorry for your losses. We have are hives close to the 58 and interstate 5 which is close to Bakersfield and their hives stolen there 2 years ago. Is Bakersfield a considered high theft? I wonder if anyone has record with areas of most stolen hives

·
Registered
996 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
BB, going to Fresno tomorrow down Hwy 99,I'll keep an eye out; I would scan Craigslist up and down CA looking for anyone selling Hives.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds good. I appreciate the help. I have looked on craigslist, with no luck. I would assume if a thief were good at being a thief they would already have changed boxes, lids and pallets by now.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Ben Little, I hope that they get caught too. I don't know about the technology but I wonder if like every 50 hives you could put a tracking device of some sort so if something happens like this you can track the boxes. The thief would have to look in the bees to find the tracking device? I really hope that the bees are recovered and the thieves are caught. Justice would be nice. Good Luck babybee!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts