Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early to mid-December I mountain-camped my 14 hives. Since then, simply left them alone. Today was a beautiful day, bright sun shine, little or no breeze, and a balmy 39 degrees. So it was time to check the hives.

Had to put 5# more on two hives, all the rest were just great! No deaths. Clusters with two or three exceptions are low in the boxes. I'm running two deeps for brood nest, shallow for food, and then a shallow feed super for the dry sugar or baggies when I do that.

Before I opened each hive I had materials ready. No veil, no gloves, no smoke. Popped the outer cover, removed inner cover, checked hive. Less than a minute, even if I had to feed it. Did not disturb the cluster. Some bees were feeding on the dry sugar, and we mutually ignored each other.

I'll check again in two weeks, and continue to make my plans for splits. I'm going from 14 to 34-36 hives this year. Next year up to 50. Ah, the joy of plans! :D
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Best of Luck to you with your expansion plans. I presume you are talking about Mountaincamps method...dry sugar...

I do that when needed...which is about 20 hives this year. We had a bad fall and no matter how much I fed, I ended up with some light hives.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, dry sugar (granulated cane) on a single sheet of newspaper, spray paper with water, pour sugar, spray sugar. Man I am so grateful for the stuff one learns on this forum! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sounds great yesterday it was warm and the girls was out and to my surprise i saw one going into the hive with pollen on her legs. So i went to get a close look and all my hives were bringing in a light grey color pollen not much some were loaded and a few with very little i do not know what is blooming but they were doing very well and now it is cold and going to snow this weekend bummer but thursday it is going to be near 60 so i am going to feed them to build up some of the stores so i am ordering some pollen patties and put them on next week.

THOMAS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts